LegacyGT.com

Blower Motor Issues

Ok guys. Here is my issue:

Never had any issues with the blower motor before. Then suddenly it stopped working. I checked the fuses and they seemed fine. I can also hear the click of the relay when I turn the fan speed knob on. I thought maybe the resistor had gone bad, but when that happens, fan speed mode 4 will apparently still work which it doesn't. So I figured at that point that the blower motor must be bad. However I have two issues:

1. How the hell do you remove it? I took out the glove box and I have unplugged the connector and the bypass tube thing, and unscrewed the three screws holding it in. The FSM states that's all you need to do to remove the blower, but I can't take it out because metal bracket on the right side of where the glove box sits completely gets in the way. What am I missing?!

2. Perhaps more importantly. I have discovered that the blower DOES work. I just have to spin it to get it started, at which point it barely spins and sounds like it is scraping something. If I could get it out of the car I could look at it and maybe see what is wrong. It acts as though it's only getting 1/10th of the current it needs. I was thinking maybe the armature was worn out but it seems odd that a gradual wear issue like that would SUDDENLY manifest itself.

Any thoughts? How do I get the damned thing out?!

Just take the two screws out of each side of that metal bracket. Most likely your brushes are worn out. I've had the same issues, and I couldn't find a source for those brushes anywhere. You can hope to find one at a pick n pull that was already replaced, otherwise all the used ones are pretty used up also.

Well I managed to pry the fan off of the pinion which allowed me to look at the motor. Pretty obvious what happened. Looks like the wire started rubbing on the armature until it completely frayed apart. Explains the near-nonexistent current that was making it barely spin.

10273841_10202017542263414_465528979959321480_n.jpg

I used some shrink wrap and a length of heavier gauge wire to reconnect it. Not a great solution, and it probably won't last very long. If it doesn't, I'll have to break out the soldering iron and do something a bit more permanent. Works for now though!

Archived