LegacyGT.com

$200 for 2.2 with 260,000 on engine - worth it

I went to look at an engine to dump into my 2.5 engine bay. It was at a subbie seller only used car lot. It is the place I bought my 95 Legacy from several years ago.

Anyhow the car is a rust bucket, was traded in last Nov 2013 and they are using it as a parts car. The used car guy sold it to the girl back in 2003. The engine fired right up. It did smoke a bit at first and I was wondering -

1. Car sat for 6 months without starting

2. Leaking valve seals

3. Rings

I went in and talked to the guy and he said that ring problems are not normally a subbie problem. Valve stems? Maybe since it was sitting so long. He said go back and let it warm up a bit.

The Smokey pretty much disappeared, a quick foot on and off rev and no bluish looking smoke.

No CEL came on.

The engine is a bit piggy with oil and should have some new valve cover gaskets.

The mileage is higher than I had hoped for but it is a 95 out of a Legacy automatic and will dump right into my 97 2.5 bay.

Engine oil showed no milky color. Radiator fluid was topped off and a good color. Someone just recently put new belts on the car.

He may even have his guys dump it in for $250. So I get out of there with the engine and install for $450. Oh add on the $13 for the rear seal.

I'm just not finding any 2.2 engines that are priced in the real world and I'm not sure if I should move forward on this one. One thing I can't handle is a driving smoker down the road.

So I need some more opinions on this motor swap. I'm tired of paying insurance on a car that I am not driving.

it depends on how long you plan on driving your car.

fix it and sell it , fine.

but long term, i would shop a little more.

probably not rings, but a wet & dry compression test would tell you.

I don't know how long I'll keep it. I don't plan on having it for my daily driver but if I could squeeze another 20,000 miles out of it...that would be ok. I'd probably drive it 6,000 a year (give or take).

I've called all around and nobody has any 2.2 stuff. There is a 2.5 engine with about 100,000 on it but it would might / probably need head gaskets soon and it is a 2.5...the engine I'm running away from.

So ya never know how long they will run.

http://www.subaruhighmileageclub.com/miles400000.html

I mean wow --- "The fellow from Sweden whose picture graces the main page just passed 930,000 km (just over 581,000 miles) on his Outback."

http://www.subaruhighmileageclub.com/

it depends on how long you plan on driving your car.

fix it and sell it , fine.

but long term, i would shop a little more.

probably not rings, but a wet & dry compression test would tell you.

i can not speak to leaking valve seals and how long it would run.

but if you keep oil in it it will probably run a really long time.

and the seller makes some sense,

200$ for the engine = 20,000 miles,

this is a number i can live with.

although my best subarus had a per mile price of less than 5 cents.

and if it is seals,

and smokes only at start up

it will probably not embarrass you too much,

and likely run several years.

and $200 is cheap,

back on the road for less than $300, duh!!

I'd buy it. I just installed an engine in my car that has almost 300k on the clock. Now I did own the car it came from for the last 2 years, so I'm not worried about it. With the 2.2, I wouldn't have any issues with a higher miles motor.

Before the valve job my 1990 Jaguar would smoke at first start but never again during the day. I don't mind that little puff of smoke in the morning but it is when the smoke puffs after leaving each red light, that is the one I can't handle. I guess I won't known until it is installed.

i can not speak to leaking valve seals and how long it would run.

but if you keep oil in it it will probably run a really long time.

and the seller makes some sense,

200$ for the engine = 20,000 miles,

this is a number i can live with.

although my best subarus had a per mile price of less than 5 cents.

and if it is seals,

and smokes only at start up

it will probably not embarrass you too much,

and likely run several years.

and $200 is cheap,

back on the road for less than $300, duh!!

On that note I'll probably take the chance. If it doesn't work out I'm probably done messing around with this car.

After doing a lot of reading about the 1997 > 2.5 DOHC engines I am amazed at how badly Subaru engineering messed up.

I'd buy it. I just installed an engine in my car that has almost 300k on the clock. Now I did own the car it came from for the last 2 years, so I'm not worried about it. With the 2.2, I wouldn't have any issues with a higher miles motor.

Archived