LegacyGT.com

Need LED festoon help.

2-Ton

Ok so I need help with these dam Festoons.

What sizes can be used in my 2007 legacy gt auto wagon?

What is the stock size of the festoons? what size of festoon can you go up to?

I am looking to replace my map, dome, and wagon cargo dome lights. But this festoon thing has me worried. Can I use dif sizes to a degree? if so how much?

These are the ones I am looking at, can you suggest others?

http://www.dx.com/p/festoon-31mm-3w-...0#.U1sbO1cl8yo

http://www.dx.com/p/t10-ba9s-festoon...2#.U1sbN1cl8yo

http://www.carid.com/2007-subaru-legacy-bulbs/

I was looking at the ones here but there are so many of them.... dont really know what to go with.

Anyone willing to share there LED experience with me?

If it helps you any (remember, I have a 2nd Gen Wagon) here are some interesting things to note:

I bought THIS to replace the main dome lights. They are bright as ****. I'm happy. However, it looks like they have been discontinued and replaced with THIS, which appears to be slightly brighter in terms of output, and probably looks WAY nicer due to what I assume to be a uniform glow which won't look as weird inside the dome light itself. Probably a good option, and kinda pissed that I barely missed out on them.

I used THESE for my map lights. If anything, they are a bit too bright. Starting to think I should have gotten the less intense RED color because at night it's a bit too much, lol.

If it helps you any (remember, I have a 2nd Gen Wagon) here are some interesting things to note:

I bought THIS to replace the main dome lights. They are bright as ****. I'm happy. However, it looks like they have been discontinued and replaced with THIS, which appears to be slightly brighter in terms of output, and probably looks WAY nicer due to what I assume to be a uniform glow which won't look as weird inside the dome light itself. Probably a good option, and kinda pissed that I barely missed out on them.

I used THESE for my map lights. If anything, they are a bit too bright. Starting to think I should have gotten the less intense RED color because at night it's a bit too much, lol.

Thanks for your help, with regards to the brightness how bright is too bright? I really don't know the LM range I should be looking for, they seem to go all the way from 40 to 600lm's with some of these! I want it to be a decent amount brighter but I don't want it to be blinding :p

I don't think you can get "too bright" as far as the dome lights go, though obviously it's personal preference. My car has a black interior, so obviously it's naturally darker in there to begin with. The old bulbs were useless as far as illuminating anything at all. The new LED panels do a great job. The ones I have are 155 Lm. The new ones that I linked you to are 165 Lm, so they'll be a bit brighter than that. I had made this to show people the difference:

1467454_10201133885012535_982604902_n.jpg

I think you'll agree the end result is definitely not "too bright." Those lights are only ever typically used when the doors are open, so its not like they affect you when driving. I also really like how - even through the tinted windows - at night you can see the entire interior instantly light up when you unlock the car.

As far as the map lights, the ones I purchased are 80 Lm. What I said about them being "too bright" isn't really accurate. They are actually just "plenty bright." And honestly it's not like you are ever really going to be driving around with those on at night for more than a few seconds, so it isn't really an issue. They do the same kind of thing for the front as the dome light replacements do for the back.

I don't think you can get "too bright" as far as the dome lights go, though obviously it's personal preference. My car has a black interior, so obviously it's naturally darker in there to begin with. The old bulbs were useless as far as illuminating anything at all. The new LED panels do a great job. The ones I have are 155 Lm. The new ones that I linked you to are 165 Lm, so they'll be a bit brighter than that. I had made this to show people the difference:

1467454_10201133885012535_982604902_n.jpg

I think you'll agree the end result is definitely not "too bright." Those lights are only ever typically used when the doors are open, so its not like they affect you when driving. I also really like how - even through the tinted windows - at night you can see the entire interior instantly light up when you unlock the car.

As far as the map lights, the ones I purchased are 80 Lm. What I said about them being "too bright" isn't really accurate. They are actually just "plenty bright." And honestly it's not like you are ever really going to be driving around with those on at night for more than a few seconds, so it isn't really an issue. They do the same kind of thing for the front as the dome light replacements do for the back.

That looks great! Was the install as straightforward as it seems? Plug LED strip to base, install base into socket, secure LED strip and go...?

that's a pretty good site. i use their flexible 5050 strips all over the car with/without adaptors, very versatile. 15 bucks for 30 segmentable ul listed 5050s goes a pretty long way. autolumination has some good items as well.

That looks great! Was the install as straightforward as it seems? Plug LED strip to base, install base into socket, secure LED strip and go...?

Yes. On my wagon, the center dome uses a festoon style bulb, and the rear one has the wedge style in the photo I posted. SuperbrightLEDs offers both types of bases. So yes, you literally plug the light strip into the base, stick the base in the socket, and you're good to go. You could just shove it in there without securing the LED board and it would be fine, but if you're OCD like me, you'll use some packing tape to secure it to the lens at a 90 degree angle. You can't tell in the picture because it is washed out, but you CAN see the source of the light, so if it's just lying in there at an angle, you will be able to tell.

Just throwing it out there, but I bought mine off ebay. So far I've done the dome light in standard LED and went with red LED for the door/courtesy lights which I love. Superbrightleds.com is a proven site though. Just figured I'd give ya another option if you were looking for color by chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I just replaced the following on my LGT and love the end results...

Dome lights, map lights, courtesy door lights, cargo area, torn signals front & rear, flasher relay, reverse lights, license plate lights, and full rear tail light conversion.

I have extras of all of them, as well as red film to "red out" your rear tail lights. PM me if you're interested. :)

IMG_20140508_200227.thumb.jpg.80866c504793ed0005f074d96faa6c6a.jpg

IMG_20140508_141708.thumb.jpg.ad28022c7de47433a203275b9615dff0.jpg

IMG_20140428_223016.thumb.jpg.7a67259b4905d0538509b4801c283e3a.jpg

IMG_20140428_222806.thumb.jpg.1054164cd18c9df112d9d14bfe8e8a4f.jpg

IMG_20140501_113946.thumb.jpg.0cefeb39c9d58abc36e740bc73dbe57e.jpg

20140307_223104.thumb.jpg.c012963761c59b19ab1e40af39e8c75d.jpg

I just replaced the following on my LGT and love the end results...

Dome lights, map lights, courtesy door lights, cargo area, torn signals front & rear, flasher relay, reverse lights, license plate lights, and full rear tail light conversion.

I have extras of all of them, as well as red film to "red out" your rear tail lights. PM me if you're interested. :)

Quick question: Which relay is the flasher relay? I'm going to be doing the LED flasher upgrade.

Archived