LegacyGT.com

question about suspension

jubjub44

Hello guys and gals. Recently bought a 05 SWP Legacy GT 5 speed Wagon. Doing lots of research on the cars (as this is my first Subaru), and have big plans for her. One thing I neglected to find was a thread on what suspensions are compatible with the 05 LGTs. Is it strictly 05-09 LGT suspensions, or is older WRX/STI suspensions bolt on? Found lots of info for third and even second gen, but none on the fourth gen. Is Subaru punishing us and limiting us on what we can use? I dont want the "stanced" looked, AKA "on its ass" (had a few vws that fit that category). Would like to lower it about an inch or so for handling (ordering an AVO 20mm Sway bar to help stabilize the body roll a bit also). Was thinking Struts/Springs is the route I would take, but would consider Coilovers, if i could find some that werent outrageously expensive and worked for this gen. Any advice for a Scubbaroo noob? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the site and glad you could join us. Great choice of wagons. If taupe interior, then it's only 1 of 61 made and several have gone to the great Subaru resting place in the sky, so even more rare.

Have moved this to the suspension/brakes forum. Recommend you search through that sub-forum as there is a lot of information available to answer your questions.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Lots and lots of options. However, I don't believe that WRX/STi suspensions will transfer over.

It all depends on your budget. Figure out how much you want to spend, then figure out what will work into that budget. There are several popular spring and strut combos out there - I can't really comment on any of them except my own, which might work for you:

Given that you've got a wagon, I'd take a flyer and suggest this:

JDM STi Pink wagon springs - these will give a relatively small drop, but they may be hard to source. You could go with Swift Sport springs - I found a wagon specific flavor of these online. I use Swift Sports and really like them.

Bilstein HD Struts - If you want to get these really dialed in, you can spend a bit of extra money and have them valved to match the springs you chose. Will increase the lead time on the order though.

Given that you purchased an 05 car, you should really think about replacement of some, if not all, of the bushings in your suspension system. Whiteline or SuperPro are the way to go in this respsect.

Good luck with the upgrades and enjoy the car!

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks guy! Its a non-limited, but not the tan interior. I was thinking going with Pink/Blisteins, but wasnt sure if there is a decent coilover that is reasonably priced out there (I read Tein isnt the best...). Ill just continue my research. Wish me luck! haha. Only coils I saw that were a direct fit for 05 LGT were the teins and Megan Racing. Both iffy at best. It seems every company makes coils for the WRX/STI, just not sure which generation of the WRX would fit on the 4th Gen LGT. Im not looking to slam the car like I did with my VWs, but would like to lower it an inch or so (thats why im leaning more towards the strut/spring combo, plus, its cheaper).

If you want to go coils, the best choice in many opinions would be KW Variant 2's. I'd love to have a set myself, but my setup is pretty solid and there's a major motor build in progress.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bilstein HD Struts and STI Pinks are on the top of my list, second only to Koni Struts and H&R Springs.

Would like to keep it under $900, and still get a nice ride and eliminate a little wheel gap.

Koni + H&R is the route to go. We've had lots of success with these both on and off the track. Whiteline sways and endlinks also are a good option.

Since you bought a used 05 LGT, there are a few items I would look at long before suspension mods.

- Compression Test

- Regular maintenance (30k/60k/90k/105k/120k)

- LCA Bushings Failing?

- Removal of Catted UP and replaced with Catless

How many miles on your car?

-mike

Car has 120,000 on it, and was maintained pretty well by previous owner. An up pipe is already in the shopping cart (going with the catless Inividia) although PO said it was fine when he had the turbo out. Not sure about the LCA bushings, but there again, already in the shopping cart, just to be on the safe side :D Was looking at the 20mm AVO sway bar. As for compression test, I believe PO said it was done, but havent seen papers. I may do one just to be safe.

Car has 120,000 on it, and was maintained pretty well by previous owner. An up pipe is already in the shopping cart (going with the catless Inividia) although PO said it was fine when he had the turbo out. Not sure about the LCA bushings, but there again, already in the shopping cart, just to be on the safe side :D Was looking at the 20mm AVO sway bar. As for compression test, I believe PO said it was done, but havent seen papers. I may do one just to be safe.

Good, just wanted to make sure you had the basics under your belt before you started to modify it! Too often we see folks come in looking for upgrades without doing proper maintenance first.

-mike

I spent (and continue to spend) countless hours pouring over this site and even NASIOC reading most of the threads. From suspensions, wheels, camber, tires, sway bars..... Haven'g dug into engine performance yet. The car comes to me with 0 engine mods ever being installed. Only "mods" it has is an after market shift knob, 35% tint, and plasti dipped wheels (which are stock). Quite tickled its not completely molested. So I'm going to do it right, in small steps.

Archived