LegacyGT.com

2000 Legacy Wagon transmission issue

My wagon has 165K on it. Still runs great but when putting into reverse, especially when first started, it SLAMS into gear. On occasion it also does this when down/up shifting while moving, and seems to come in waves and then stops.

Any thoughts? Does this need to be replaced or is this an issue that can be fixed?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
could be your TPS sensor malfunctioning. I have have replaced a tranny because of a wacky tps sensor. I would drive and it would hold shifts and then slam into the next gear. I took my car to the dealer after replacing my tranny and having the same issue. 800 on tranny and labor then 350 later no issues. Subaru tried to tell me she was ok also when I took it in there and wanted to charge me 100 or 120 for nothing. I refused to pay for them waisting my gas. They let me speak with the shop Forman and he understood my frustration and offered to take it home for the weekend and run it on a computer the whole time to see what malfunctions, like you guys are saying it comes and goes.

Archived