LegacyGT.com

Timing belt tensioner pulley problem

1994 Subaru Legacy. 2.2 engine, non-turbo.

I'm replacing the timing belt and pulleys. When I put the new tensioner pulley on and tighten the bolt, it is very difficult to move, and if I force it looks like the tab that engages the tensioner actually contacts the block. Here is a picture of the scratch mark it left on the block as it moved back and forth.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/101/8/c/untitled_by_yenros-d7e31qu.jpg

I'm holding a screwdriver that points to the scratch mark that the tab on the tensioner makes as it moves back and forth.

It looks as if there should be a flat washer between it and the block to push it out form the block just a tad. Am I missing something? Should there be a flat washer between the pulley and the block? This is supposed to be a no-brainer - pulley, bolt, insert. Install so that tab is up against the tensioner piston. How can you possible do anything wrong?

I'm wondering if the replacement pulley was not machined correctly? Or does it just not move that far and it touches the block because it normally doesn't move that far out? Any ideas? I'm hesitant to continue this job until I understand what is going on.

Edit: somewhat better picture:

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/101/e/4/untitled_by_yenros-d7e31p2.jpg

The thought occurs to me that all I really need to do is grind off about 1/8" of the tab that contacts the tensioner piston so that it does not contact the block. Problem solved. Not sure if I would be creating more problems doing this or not....but at this point I'm not sure what else to do....

The thought occurs to me that all I really need to do is grind off about 1/8" of the tab that contacts the tensioner piston so that it does not contact the block. Problem solved. Not sure if I would be creating more problems doing this or not....but at this point I'm not sure what else to do....

No grinding!

Your tensioner should have one of these going through the back, the sleeve allows the pulley to be able to swivel, and spaces it away from the block.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/Idahorec/Odds%20and%20ends/A0623E56-0188-41C8-B919-14A8C09F4B06_zpsr0jvgqk6.jpg

The insert goes in from the back???? Are you sure? The new one came with the insert going in from the front and the one I took off of the engine had the insert going in from the front. The picture that you see on Autozone and O'Reilly's both show it going in from the front.

However....this would not be the first time the after market parts guys were wrong. What are you saying makes a huge amount of sense. Because by putting it in from the back, it spaces it back from the block like it should be and the pulley lines up with the other pulleys....wow....whoever worked on this last put it in from the front and I almost did the same because that is what the parts stores show loloz....

In the Chilton's manual is a picture, it is not very clear but seems to show the sleeve going in from the back. Subaruparts.com shows a blowup but not enough detail.

And my Haynes manual, which is usually much more accurate than Chilton's, is no where to be found....

The pulley I took out was stuck in from the front, the same as what came in the kit. What threw me off was that whoever did this last put the spacer in from the front, just like the picture on the parts store website. And you can see the scratch mark it made on the blocksin the pics. It's a miracle it didn't jam, loose tension, and blooey goes the belt.come apart long ago, I think sooner or later it would have jammed, lost tension on the belt, and blooey goes the belt.

So I stuck the spacer in from the back. Fits like a glove. Pulley moves back and forth like it is supposed to. Belt went on, everything looks good and lines up. Amazing...

Thanks, guys, I seriously owe you one....

Yes, every time I do one the sleeve is in the front on the new pulley. You need to move it to the back of the pulley as stated above. I believe they put it in the new pulley on the front just for shipping purposes

And the guy before me thought that was how it should be...as did I cause that was how I found it ... :redface:

Archived