LegacyGT.com

Second Gen Brake Issues

Hey all,

So recently I have been experiencing an issue with my brakes getting stuck engaged. It is becoming more and more frequent of an occurrence and I need to do something about it asap. I had to leave my car overnight at a 711 the other day because the brakes would NOT disengage and I couldn't get it to roll at all. I went back two days later and the brakes had disengaged and I was able to get it home.

I drive a 96 legacy BK6 EJ22 5 speed with 180xxx miles

I have a theory that it might be connected to the "hill stop" feature where the brakes don't disengage until the clutch pedal is let out. A sweet feature... Unless this is the cause of why my car sometimes decides it's done moving.

I have noticed that if I put the car in neutral and come to a stop (using the brakes) and let the brake pedal out completely BEFORE depressing the clutch pedal to shift into first, the car rolls fine. I'd need to drive more to make sure that works every time (but I don't want to get stuck again haha). If my theory is correct though, then not allowing the hill stop function to do its thing, would be one way to avoid getting my brakes stuck

I just read a thread posted by a guy experiencing the same thing in his '06 Spec B with like 55xxx miles on it and the dealership he took it to was really workin him over... in the worst way. A total of $2200 dollars in repair. That is LITERALLY more money than my car is worth and I am NOT willing to pay that much.. Though I am in love with my car... his post was also like 5 years old so chances of getting a reply on there pretty slim. I did post a question on there just in case.

Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas, or theories, or has experienced this and overcome it.. Please let me know.

I need some help, fellow legacy owners!!

Sounds like you have a seized brake caliper slides. Jack up the car and find which wheel is locked or tighter then the other. Remove the brake caliper and inspect. I've had many second gens with seized caliper slides sometimes a reman caliper is needed because the slides wouldn't come out. GL

When it's locked up Jack it up and take the wheels off. Crack each bleeder and see if it frees up. If so you have a hydraulic issue. Something is keeping the brakes applied. Could he a bad booster or master. When it locks up again pull the vacuum line off the booster. If it frees up you most likely have a faulty booster. If not its probably the master.

One stuck slide pin shouldn't lock the brakes that hard

having never had a manual trans subaru with ''hill holder''

my first guess would have been stuck caliper slide pins.

but VR makes sense.

i would follow his advice.

i would also google ''stuck subaru hill holder''.

Awesome, Thanks guys. After just reading more cases on sticking breaks and Subarus, it seems a pretty common thing for the hill holder to quit working properly so just to see if that IS the case, I'm going to disable it tomorrow and see if the brakes seize up again. Thanks again!

So I ended up fixing it earlier this evening. Took like 11 minutes. All I did was disconnect the cable running from the PHV to the clutch control arm so the "hill hold" can no longer engage. She drives like a dream. Also, my clutch pedal is smooth as silk now. Feels good. Maybe someday I'll actually fix the "hill hold"... but at least for now I can get from point A to point B without worrying whether or not my brakes are going to lock up. And I mean who really NEEDS "hill hold"? It's nice to have, but not a necessity.

Didn't know hill hold was on second gens. AFAIK mine doesn't have it and I haven't seen anything unusual with the clutch or brake hydraulics the 2 times I pulled the engine in the last 4 months.

Archived