LegacyGT.com

brake caliper crossover with 08+ wrx???

jeffy2.5xt

does anyone have first hand experience with 08+ wrx front brakes compared to obxt brakes? the cross checking i have done, a few part numbers do cross over for front calipers and most do not. how much of a difference is there between the two as far as rotor size, and caliper design?

i was looking at a 2013 wrx with 15" wheels on it and it got me to thinking, if that is possible on a wrx then why not on an obxt? i would believe that the wrx would have a superior braking system or at least equal to any legacy model including wagons if only just short of the spec-b.

if one were to swap over to wrx brakes to fit 15" rims would you be able to do just calipers or would you need rotors as well? would it be detrimental to the braking capabilities on a "larger" vehicle? or are they truly a somehow better or equal braking system that is more compact?

before anybody says anything......ahem....................boxkita................about how i am all over the place with what i want to do with my car and asking so many questions in so many different directions, just keep in mind i work graveyard shift on a computer with not alot to do most nights!!! alot of hours reading and looking and thinking. these are mostly just questions to find answers for the sake of knowing and hopefully helping somebody else figure stuff out.

294x24mm

295x25.5mm

This is the WRX front rotor. It uses a two piston sliding front caliper or the Subaru fixed 4-pot. The sliding caliper, bracket, and pad were changed in 03 and that's something you need to be aware of when upgrading from RS brakes or purchasing pads. The 4-pots are only on the 06-07 WRX in the US, though they were on many older non-US STis and WRXes (the black calipers with Subaru across them). Generally 16" wheels are required with these brakes but there are some 15" wheels out there that work. Also 16x6.5 Subaru wheels do not clear 4-pots.

Applications:

01 Legacy GT LTD?

02-04 Legacy GT

05-09 Legacy non-gt *

01-09 Outback

02+ Impreza WRX (including 08, which uses 2-pots)

03+ Forester

Baja

BRZ/FRS/GT86

info pasted from another site, so take it for what it is and do your own research or at least verify, but seems like a pretty comprehensive list and very straight forward.

so in seeing this it would appear that the 08+ wrx using the 2 pots is the same as the outback and if a 15" wheel can fit one it will fit the other. the only thing that needs to be figured out and addressed is the backspacing/offset of the wheels and which manufacturer/design will clear. the aforementioned vehicle was using team dynamics wheels which would seem an obvious choice for such a setup, so i would assume speedline or some of the other rally manufacturers would be similar in fit.

now..........upgrade to 4 pots possible on the same 15" t/d wheels. hmmmm.

Archived