LegacyGT.com

Does this look infected to you?

Fellow Soobites, Here is a long post. Read at your own risk. I am a newbee (hi, how y’all doin'?), and just saw, and drove, an '05 GT limited sedan. I knew I wanted one as soon as I heard of the car, so after seeing it today (it looks far better in person than in any pik I have seen) and driving it (BTW, I cant believe how much car is there @ 27K, etc), I ordered an '05 silver GT limited sedan. Yippee-eye-eee-eye-oh! In 3-6 weeks, I be a happy soob owner. I think I hear applause...thank you all, very much. OK, as I said, I am a newbee to the board, and have been reading it for a while as I knew I would likely get a new '05 when they became available. I have a question or 2, and yes, I have read a lot and done a search on the subject. I am still going to ask my questions and please know that I am too old and have too thick a flame retardant suit on to be harmed by internet fireballs. Oh ya, I am mechanically brain-dead and am not sure of terms I am about to use and would be having the work done by a competent mechanic, and would rely on you experts for some advice on how to proceed. So here are my novice thoughts, and if you feel so inclined, consider assisting this newbite with some good advice. If you wanna flame, that's fine too. It is 90 degrees today in St. Paul, and the heat from those flames would actually cool down my room as my a/c died yesterday and my cats are periodically bursting into flames because of the heat in my office that has 4 computers running w/2 ancient monitors that create enough heat to match the intensity of a thousand burning suns. But I digress. At some point very soon after I get my car, I want to lower it very slightly. I mean, like .5 inch, maybe 1 inch or so, but definitely lower than stock. I also want to fill out the wheel wells, again, just slightly, for a better and aggressive look. But no matter what, I want to try to avoide do anything that would make the car rub, if at all possible. So, for susp., I am thinking that I want coilovers (or just different springs?), something that would retain excellent ride qualities (this is my commuter car and I am an old man and do not need a stiff ride at all, though SLIGHTLY firmer is dandy - wait, actually desirable) but be lower. And, for wheels, I am thinking of going to 18 in, MAYBE, but nonetheless, a BBS-like wheel with very slight spacers to offset the wheels and fill out the wheel wells. Or, new 17 or 18 inch wheels that are slightly wider (and may not need spacers, or?) Am I makin' sense here? I want it lowered, and I want wider wheels/spacers to fill out the well ever so slightly, but if possible, no rub-a-dub when front wheels are less than straight ahead, if ya follow. What would be a good way to approach this? TIA Jeff

I'd wait to see what the aftermarket offers. I don't think that there are that many parts as yet, since the car has only been out for a month or two, and then production was stopped for about 2 weeks. (plant upgrades, etc.) So, once the tuner market gets it's hands on the car, does the research, implements the parts, and has a few takers, take a look at what some have to say, and then decide. Read some of posts from gtguy -- he has provided some very useful information. Lastly, before upgrading the suspension, get rid of the RE92's as they have got to be the worst tire that this car could have...or any other car, for that matter. Later, i.

Indeed, yes, and thank you for the reply. For tires, I am thinking about P Nero Zero (I think that is the name) ultimate high performance all-seasons. But, I did not know the tires that I am getting suck, so yes, new tires would be order of the day too..... Edit: found this for gtguy: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1471&highlight=[/url] Perfect answers.

• 2 weeks later...
mr replicant i find your post quite amusing :lol: i to when i get my legacy would like to lower it. probaly just 1.5 inch or so. thats what i lowered my current car down and i think it looks great. could still be a bit lower but i think this is a perfect amount for lowering a car. but all cars are diff so maybe its to much. i have no idea. but anyways i am going to look into eibach springs for the car if they make it. because thats what i hvae now and i am very pleased with it

I put the rims on my car, now I am waiting on HKS or some really well-known suspension company to make a full coilover set that just rides like stock. Just have to wait for the parts. After checking the wheel fender clearance, the front is 2.25" and the rear is about 1.75" to 2.0".. I recommend to NOT drop the car any lower than 1" all the way around (there isnt much room for suspension travel) also check your wheel offsets, you might very well need to roll the rear fenders if you go any wider than what I have on the car.. I am running some 18"x7.5" rims with a 42mm offset (yes, the front tires actually stick out away from the front bumper and a little bit of the fender). The tire size I am running is 225/40/18 (1.93% larger overall diameter than stock, and about 5 lbs heavier than stock wheel/tire setup). If anything, go with lighter wheels than stock, cuz the car feels soo heavy in steering with the 18" rims on (18"s with tires weighed in at 42 lbs each, stock 17" LGT-LM rims are like 37 lbs or lighter). Keefe
Keefe

Archived