LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT vs 2005 GT Limited

GTFalcon

Hi guys and gals. I have been lurking on these forums for a couple of years and finally decided to bite the bullet and trade in my Durango. I'm currently looking at two different Legacy Gts and would like your opinions on them.

The first one is a 2005 Legacy GT 5eat with 120k. Turbo just replaced but don't know anything else about it. Test drove it today and it drove great but had a slight burnt clutch smell maybe? Which was weird because its an automatic. Everything else looks great on it though. Asking 7500 for it.

The second one is a 2005 Legacy GT Limited 5eat with 140k. This one had more extensive records. Timing belt replaced 20k miles ago. Brand new turbo. New brakes and calipers. Oil changed every 3000 miles. The only thing that is wrong with this one is that it needs a wheel bearing replaced. Asking 8500.

Is your opinion which is the better deal? Any help is appreciated.

Are either modded? That burning smell would freak me out a bit on the first one. I bought mine lightly molded with 150k. Six months later I lost a ring land and had to put in a new motor. The bill was 6k but it's all forged inside now and running a vf52 turbo. That stung, but I still love the car though. Actually i probably love it more. I think i just rushed into things as i needed a car RIGHT NOW and fell victim to someone else's shot mods and tune.

Wheel bearing would not be a deal breaker for me.

Wheel bearing should cost you $150 at a good shop.. maybe a tad more otherwise.

Limited technically has the spoiler and sunroof, as well as leather. But.. it can be had (other than sunroof) on a "non-limited" model.

I'd go with the $8500 option ... also has timing belt etc done. A new turbo I'd question why it was replaced anyways...

If you have the records that the timing belt was done (which if you do it right along with the water pump will be about $1100 or so), and you have records that the oil was changed routinely, go with the car that has the timing belt already done. If the turbo replacement is a factory unit (need to take to a Subaru dealer to check), it should be OK, except that you will need to spend the money for a timing belt/water pump replacement. I just bought a 2005 GT Wagon with 104,000 miles. Had to do the timing belt and then found out the power steering pump was leaking and the radiator was leaking. Had purchased an extended warranty at CarMax (where I bought the car), so they covered over $1800 of repairs for $100 deductible. If you can, take the car to your trusted mechanic for a complete checkup prior to purchasing either car. The GT's run like a bandit, so you will be happy with the performance, for sure!

Thanks I absolutely love the car. Minus the fact that someone attempted to break into it at my work last night so now the handle in broken. =-( Oh well, it'll get fixed on Tuesday when I get the wheel bearing fixed.

Archived