LegacyGT.com

'97 Subaru Outback Locking Issue

I bought this car from a private sale, and realized it has no locking mechanism for the inside of the car. I can unlock the driver's door and the passenger door from the outside. When I bought it the guy said it has power locks, but doesn't matter what I do I can only unlock the 2 doors from the outside. Any pointers for me?

i'm not exactly clear on what you are asking.

the 95 - 96 cars, all doors lock / unlock with the driver's door.

the 97 - 99 cars, there should be a separate lock / unlock button near the window control switch.

it is slightly lower and slightly forward of the window controls.

if your car does not have that switch ,

someone has swapped in different interior door panels.

does the car have leather seats?

that could be a reason to swap door panels.

two possibilities come to mind,

1/ both doors or door cards were replaced

2/ it is not a 97

what is the VIN?

but more info on how your door locks work or do not work would help.

also, do you have a keyfob for the remote entry / alarm system?

I'm wondering if it may have the power lock system that my '92 had if it's not a '97. If you push the drivers side inside lock a little past locked or unlocked and hold for a second, it unlocks or lock all the doors. Give that a try? I don't remember if it worked with the the key or not. There was no switch on the inside of mine either.

okay so i checked the VIN, not a 97. it's a 96. still have no idea how to operate power locks. it's my first subaru. i can still only unlock the passenger and drivers door from outside. have to lock and unlock back doors from the inside.

if its a 96 the passenger door has an actuator that is only triggered by the driver door lock. if the driver door is only opening with the key, that means your actuator signal from the lock is not working. could be a fuse, or a bad connection. the driver door is not actuated, only the three others are. there is no "lock/unlock" button, as it works on the lock mechanism by the handle. if you lock and unlock your driver door and dont hear the others trigger, id start at that point in the panel to see where it is failing

I'm wondering if it may have the power lock system that my '92 had if it's not a '97. If you push the drivers side inside lock a little past locked or unlocked and hold for a second, it unlocks or lock all the doors. Give that a try? I don't remember if it worked with the the key or not. There was no switch on the inside of mine either.

Don't believe I said to try the key.:confused:

it is time to take the interior panel off of the door and see if all the linkage is in place.

the plastic connectors get old and fail or pop loose.

on the 96, ALL doors should lock and unlock with the driver door.

• 2 weeks later...
if its a 96 the passenger door has an actuator that is only triggered by the driver door lock. if the driver door is only opening with the key, that means your actuator signal from the lock is not working. could be a fuse, or a bad connection. the driver door is not actuated, only the three others are. there is no "lock/unlock" button, as it works on the lock mechanism by the handle. if you lock and unlock your driver door and dont hear the others trigger, id start at that point in the panel to see where it is failing

Hello. I have a similar problem. My locks don't work on my 1995 legacy wagon. What's worse, I can't get the hatch to lock, even with a key, so the hatch is always unlocked. I

I need to tackle this this weekend! The doors lock fine with a key (or my hand, lol) but the hatch lock doesn't budge, and since the power locks don't work, it stays unlocked.

Twisty, you mentioned that there's an actuator in the passenger door; all the passenger doors, or just the front passenger? Where do I begin with this project?

And how can I lock my hatch?!?

Thanks.

Archived