LegacyGT.com

new turbo upgrade questions

wondering with experiences with any of these turbos..i had a tomioka 18g on my wrx and tha tmade 402, but felt the spool rate was a little high..i want a quick spooling turbo that has reliability with 16-18 psi..im debating of on the avo fmic or avo tmic to go with the turbo as well...i want to be around 300 awhp

wondering with experiences with any of these turbos..i had a tomioka 18g on my wrx and tha tmade 402, but felt the spool rate was a little high..i want a quick spooling turbo that has reliability with 16-18 psi..im debating of on the avo fmic or avo tmic to go with the turbo as well...i want to be around 300 awhp

300awhp? why? did you pull that number from a hat? have you done suspension? brakes? at what rpm do you want that 300 number? do you care what you wtq number is ?

i have everything suspenion, except a strut tower bar...

OMG! You don't have the strut tower bar? :spin:

jsut so we're all on the same page:

1. what;s your intended usage of this car?

2. do you want to spend more time working on car or driving car?

3. ever plan on tracking it (backroads don't count)?

4. drive in 2-3k range or 4-5k range?

5. what have you done to the suspension?

6. what's your budget?

7. who is tuning this when you are done?

I have another tip - don't waste your time upgrading to anything bigger than a 16g if you're daily driving. Peak HP means absolutely nothing if it's only a street car.

whp is pretty much a useless number. I have a 310whp car, however, I reliably pass many other 350whp cars on the track. I have 335wtq for 4000 rpms, which might have something to do with that.

Horsepower is a calculated number based on torque. You should pick a torque number that matches your components, desires, usage, and pocketbook. TQ breaks parts, HP is bragging.

FMIC is going to have lag. If you like 2 & 3rd, fmic is going to be frustrating. For a dd, a tmic should be good enough.

you've got a lot of parts like you are aiming for high-dollar build. I'd work with top speed on a set of parts to add to your current list that will let you enjoy 2nd & 3rd gear. If your tune had a strong low range, you'd have more fun. A FMIC is going to optimize the upper end and sacrafice the low end. You could drive in the upper rpm range, hwoever, your gas mileage is going to suck.

$1500 for a turbo is lot of money. lots of options in that range. How much is your total budget?

To keep cost down so you can buy injectors and fuel pump, I suggest the following.

BNR 16g (low end spool)

Torque Solutions TMIC (or similar)

-with AVO throttle body hose

That should cost about $1160 without a tune

I just switched from TMIC to FMIC and the difference in lag is very noticeable. I'm still running a VF40 but have an 18g sitting in the garage waiting for fuel upgrades.

Stay TMIC at this point.

Archived