LegacyGT.com

Factory Cross Bars for 2005 GT Wagon

kc47

I've been looking through a bunch of the threads about roof racks and have found lots of info about after market stuff like Yakima and Thule, but does anyone know where I can factory cross bars that will fit the little rails on the 2005 Legacy GT wagon? I hear they are no longer made, but if anyone knows of a source that has some, or know who made them maybe I can get lucky. Or if you want to get rid of a pair let me know!

Thanks.

The Thule and Yakima racks are much nicer than the oem rack. Fyi ... the oem rack was made by a company called Mont Blanc out of England. Thule absolutely has a fit kit that fits the LGT wagon. Good luck.

Thanks John, I just ended up getting the Yakima Railgrab towers and round bars. They can be [ame=http://www.amazon.com/RailGrab-Kit-58-Bars-Towers/dp/B0032C739O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393948075&sr=8-3&keywords=yakima+railgrab]found on Amazon for about $100 less than the normal retail price[/ame].

I only know the Thule stuff and not so much about the Yakima accessories. However, looking at the picture at your link, that sure does look like it'll have the right fit on the LGT wagon rails. It may not be perfect since that's a universal boot tower, but it looks pretty close to right and I'm sure will work just fine and stay securely attached.

If you get an increase in wind noise, you may want to consider a fairing. Take it out on the highway and test the noise with and without accessories attached to the rack. Anything changing the aerodynamic profile (including sunroof in open/closed/vent position) or various accessories will change the level of noise. My Thule bars are noticeable, but not annoying with no boxes/racks/accessories. I just kind of happen to like the way a fairing looks, so I run one when I have the bars on, but no box attached. Enjoy!

Also, place your box and or accessories on top when aligning your new crossbars and make sure the tailgate clears fully in the open position before tightening the crossbars down to the roof rails. The LGT wagon upper hinge point for the tailgate is relatively far forward compared to a lot of other vehicles. Ideally, anything you put on the rack will not interfere with your tailgate, but it really depends on how long your box or whatever is.

Also, this post contains pics that show what my front crossbar and fairing look like in relation to the sun roof: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3886539&postcount=74

The OEM bars have a fully plastic locking mechanism and plastic "key" to operate it. They are complete crap. If you get/have OEM bars, I recommend you do not lock them on once mounted. I had to drill into the locking mechanism to get them off my car to replace them with the Thule version with a real key and locking core. Any grit in the mechanism will cause the OEM tower locks to fail (lock won't turn) and you'll never get them off without destroying the tower.

ssbtech: The 05 LGT wagon flush rails are different than the Outback raised rails and crossbars. The 05 LGT wagon did *not* come with crossbars standard despite the standard equipment on the Outback. They were indeed an optional accessory.

Archived