LegacyGT.com

'95 Legacy wagon hard start issues

My daughter's wagon has developed a hard start problem. Most times the engine will start right up with no issues. But sometimes it will just crank and crank and not fire at all. One of these times, I discovered if I pumped the gas pedal once it would startup. It finally threw a code this weekend. I don't have a code reader so I went to Autozone to have them read it. After arguing with them that the car DOES have an OBD2 connector, they hooked up their reader. It would only go back to 1996 so they read it as a 1996 Legacy. Oh, EJ22E engine if that makes a difference to anyone. All they could pull out of it is a mis-fire on cylinder 1...2...3...4. They suggested plugs, wires and/or coil pack. The coil does seem like a possiblity given all 4 cylinders reporting problems, but what's with the gas pedal starting trick? And, when it is running it runs great - no hesitation or stumble, no rough idle...

One other thing that would seem to be totally unrelated but I will mention it given the timing of this problem. We recently had the transmission rear shaft seal replaced beacuse it was leaking like a sieve. The same day we picked up the car this starting issue began. Shouldn't be any connection, but strong coincidence...?

Thanks!

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I checked the coil pack and found the primary resistance value out of spec. So we replaced the coil, spark plugs and wires, and the fuel filter. Cleared the codes (and yes, they were the P0300 through P0304 codes). All seemed well for three days and then today my daughter tells me "it did it again".

How do I test the fuel pump? Any other thoughts... especially considering that whenever it won't start all that we have to do is pump the accelerator once - like you had to before fuel injection came along - and then it will start. I am inclined to think it is fuel-related, but not sure.

Check codes again. Are there any other than p0300-p0304?

What are the miles?

Pumping the pedal before start wont do anything on modern fuel injection set-ups, not on the fuel side anyways, it just opens the throttle more.

Have you done a timing belt? How long?

Id also check ICM, & crank keyway..

Hmmmm? The things that come to mind would be a dirty/sticky throttle body, a dirty/sticky Idle Air Control valve or bad fuel pressure regulators.

If you have to open the throttle during crank, then maybe you are either not getting enough air into the cylinders or you are having to up the vacuum psi to activate the fuel pressure regulators.

I didn't have much time to work on the wagon this weekend, but can answer a few of the questions posed so far:

Mileage - around 120,000

No new codes set... no codes at all right now.

I did the timing belt early last fall when I changed the cam seals and water pump. Her car has run fine since that time until this started just a few weeks ago.

I did pull off the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator and the inside of the hose looks shiny... possibly wet, but did not smell strongly of fuel. However, the hose was very hard and brittle and *may* have been leaking. I need to pick up some replacement hose before I go much further.

Archived