LegacyGT.com

Transmission noise

Aho

Before I start, I'd like to say: "Yes, I did search. Unfortunately, I've only found one topic with a similar noise."

So last night, while driving someone home, my transmission developed this ticking (clicking, popping?) sound. It starts above 1200RPMs at random RPMs, but does not matter what gear it is in. As long as the car is in motion, the sound is present. Whether or not the clutch is engaged, it is there. Turning does not affect the sound, but the faster you go, the less annoyance there is. It will only go away when I am stopped. It did seem louder in reverse just a bit ago. The sound is also right around where the shifter/boot would be.

The only thing I can think of is the cause being from the knife that someone dropped behind the dashboard, or my uneven tires (wear matches on both fronts and both rears with the rears being the lower tread).

Could anyone give me possible insights of what's going on before I just decide to sell this car? :icon_sad:

edit: now with video!

As requested:

Instagram (phone would only let me record with instagram. http://www.rs25.com/forums/images/smilies/unamused.gif )

I've also found that I can now hear it while idling and the sound goes away with the clutch disengaged. http://www.rs25.com/forums/images/smilies/unamused.gif When I went to reverse, it also conveniently made the noise in a less noisy manner, at least this time it did.

The carrier bearing and bushing are pretty close to the middle of the car look under there toward the rear of the car and check out that bushing, it is carrying the driveshaft section there. Other than that look at your rear cv joints at the diff and the hub and look for torn boots. Clicking and ticking sounds can carry all the way through the the unibody making it difficult to locate sound without visual inspection and process of elimination. Since the noises are less aggravating at higher rpm it will eliminate transaxles since they spin at a slower rate than your transmission. Of you can't pinpoint it still I would pick the car up SAFELY and preferrably at a shop with a 2 post lift start the car and run it in idle and just listen to each differential at the out puts and listen for bad bearing noises. Good luck.

The part I can't seem to get past is that you posted more info that you can hear it while idling? If the car is not moving, then it can't be driveshaft, halfshafts, cv joints, or even the center diff in the transaxle. Rules out a lot of stuff. Does it make the *same* bad noise in idle?
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Archived