LegacyGT.com

Since weather has been getting cooler has anyone else noticed mpg is now better?

My mpg the past few days jumped up 2.5mpg since I filled it and I'm not driving any more conservatively than I usually do.

Has anyone else noticed a gain in MPG the past few days? Last week I got 22.2 mpg and now I'm at 24.9 mpg. I'm thinking since it hasnt been as hot as it was lately that must be helping it. I wonder how much better it will get come fall then if this is the case.

Cooling off? That implies that it was warm to start with. :D

This is the getting toward the end of the warmest part of the year here in Seattle. Temps have been pretty steady between 75 and 90 (and sunny!) for the past couple of months - no real signs of it getting cooler yet. As such, I can offer no comment. :)

I drove it the other night and it was pulling like an animal. The temp was like high 60's out. The past few weeks I took it out there was a ton of humidity and high 90's. I can't wait to get this thing out in those chilly nights when it's in the 50's :D Maybe it'll be like that when I'm in Lancaster, Pa next weekend.

Stupid statement to follow: So a turbocharged car is more efficient/powerful in cold weather? Is that the main reason that Subaru sticks to turbo cars? Somewhere i got the impression that Subaru was mainly meant for cold weather areas. Something about the block heater, the windshield wiper defroster, the heated seats, the heated mirrors made me come to this conclusion.

This is my first Subaru and i have lived in Hawaii for the past 9 yrs so 0 cold weather experience w/ this car. Always had N/A vehicles before this one anyway.

Engines generate more power in colder weather because of air density. As the air temperature decreases, air density will increase. The more dense the air, the more you can cram into the engine. It doesn't matter if it's turbocharged, supercharged, or normally aspirated. They'll all make more power. That's the short short version anyway. This doesn't take into account your fan having to run to cool the car in the summer time, running the A/C compressor etc.

the above post is basically correct, but the effects apply more to turbocharged or supercharged cars. The more boost and the more it relies on the intercooler to cool the charge air, the greater the effect.

On some turbocharged cars, there is a point of diminishing returns where the air is so cold that you get fuel cut when at full boost because the fuel system can't keep up. (2g eclipses could have that happen).

It's been in the 50's at night here for a few weeks mostly. The car is a bit faster but it isn't a huge difference from when it was in the 90's. I see more of an increase in power just having the AC off, but I have to say this car has so much power that is great under all conditions. Not like my dog A4 1.8t, it was very slow with AC on.

it's been in the 50's here. tomorrow the high is supposed to be 61. whoo hoo. :( summer is pretty much gone and now for the cold. but i'll get better fuel economy and power hopefully. lol.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Ugh, trdvibe, gal, I should move up to Alaska with the wifey - we're both polar bears.

You guys have the nice view *and* the nice weather! No fair!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived