LegacyGT.com

How is Subaru's service?

Like a lot of people here, I'm interested in getting a 2.5GT Legacy. For the longest time I browsed an Impreza forums ([url]www.nasioc.com[/url]) to get tidbits of info on the Legacy. But I've read some disturbing threads about owners with problems and the dealer refusing to fix it under warranty. I understand if they've got a stage 3 turbo mod, but some of these people are totally stock. I get the impression that Subaru service sucks based on what I've read out there on the internet. And if you think about it, it seems plausible- before Subaru was a niche player that sold to outdoorsy types or people in areas with lots of snow. But with the new Impreza, new Legacy, and the Forrester (I see lots from where I am) it would seem that Subaru's dealer network is caught a bit off guard with all their success, so their resources for servicing Subarus are stretched a bit thin. Since the Legacy is all new, I expect the early adopters to be visiting their dealers a bit more than usual and I was wondering what the service was like.

It's not legal to refuse warrenty work due to car modifications unless those modifications specifically caused the problem. Service is like any other car company, some dealerships will bend over backwards for you and others I wouldn't trust to change my oil. Subaru is a bit more of a niche company so on the whole, most dealerships are great. Certainly take the time to research your local dealerships to see which has the best services.

In So Cal, it varies widely upon the dealership. Some are great, some are horrible. It seems to me the dealerships that exclusively sell Subarus tend to be much better. Research them before you take your car in. With warranty issues, if you don't mod your car, and you don't abuse it, you shouldn't have any problems. If you choose to mod your car, do your homework and figure out which dealership service departments (and even specific mechanics or service managers) are mod friendly. Even if a mod-freindly dealership is out of the way for you, it will be worth it to go those extra miles. Also, even a mod-friendly dealership will take pause if you have a warranty issue that is remotely related to your mods. The best way to ensure that the dealership will back you up on warranty issues (to the extent that it can) is to have your mods done at that dealership, and to discuss the mods with your service manager before you do them. Ultimately, however, you are putting part of your warranty at risk anytime you mod your car.

Since having my MY01, I have never had a problem with any warranty work or service issues other than them accidently scratching a rim which they took money off my service bill. I have my car serviced at Subaru Australia HQ in Melbourne and the ppl there are fantastic and that includes all departments from Service to Sales to STi. I think its important to try and strike up a bit of a relationship with either the service manager or one of the other office ppl. They seem to look after you a little bit better then rather than just being another face in the crowd so to speak. If yr not happy with the dealer you bought the car from, shop around for another Subaru dealer to get yr car serviced at. If your unable to do this or you still have concerns, speak to the Head Office of Subaru in your country to air your concerns. I did this with my father's Audi and they couldnt have been more helpful.

Archived