LegacyGT.com

Auto transaxle fluid change advice

Greetings,

I want to change the ATF on my 2007 legacy SE. It appears to be pretty straightforward in that there is a drain plug as opposed to having to drop the pan, but my questions are as follows:

We're is/are the filter(s) I see what looks like a spin on filter above the drain plug, near the exhaust pipe. Is this the replaceable filter? Does anyone have a P/N? Or an equivilant aftermarket model?

Is there also an internal filter that is accessed through dropping the pan? If so which filters must be replaced?

Also what type of ATF do you recommend?

Thanks

Gerard

You are aware the front differential oil is separate to the auto box fluid?, the spin on filter you refer to is actually the engine oil filter, sounds like you best take it to a dealer to do.

I thought it was weird too, but it is definitely not the engine oil filter, I've already located that one. This is right above the transmission drain plug.

A picture is worth a thousand words as they say. It appears you dont have a GT therefore I believe your transmission is a 4speed auto. You might check with the dealer or rockauto.com for the filter. I dont know if local auto parts carry those.

On GTs the 5EAT(5speed auto) has the filter mounted behind the battery within the fender.

Here is a couple bits of advice...

Aftermarket trans filters tend to leak on our cars. I don't know why, but every (and I do mean every) car that came in with a aftermarket trans filter had a leak at the filter.

If you drain the ATF and replace the filter, you will get just under half of the total fluid out of the trans.

If your goal is to replace the trans fluid, the only way to assure that is with a flush. Do your self a favor, leave the filter on there, visit a dealer or shop you trust and ask them about a trans flush. If you do this work at an independent shop, be sure they use the Subaru HP trans fluid as well. They will need 12-16qts depending on the machine they use.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

Here is a couple bits of advice...

Aftermarket trans filters tend to leak on our cars. I don't know why, but every (and I do mean every) car that came in with a aftermarket trans filter had a leak at the filter.

If you drain the ATF and replace the filter, you will get just under half of the total fluid out of the trans.

If your goal is to replace the trans fluid, the only way to assure that is with a flush. Do your self a favor, leave the filter on there, visit a dealer or shop you trust and ask them about a trans flush. If you do this work at an independent shop, be sure they use the Subaru HP trans fluid as well. They will need 12-16qts depending on the machine they use.

What worries me about doing a flush is the car has 141k miles and I just purchased it, so I don't know how it's been maintained. I have been told by the sales person that doing a flush might do more harm than good, so I thought that just draining the oil in the pan and replacing the filter might be a good compromise.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. Granted, the flush may reveal an issue with the trans, but nothing that wouldn't show itself in time. And usually in the worst time/place you can imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

The trans filter is a maintenance free part.

ATF filter is maintenance free part. ATF filter needs replacement, when it has physically rust, damaged or ATF leaked

You can easily change it, but its not needed unless its rusty, leaky or falling apart. Perform regular transmission drain and fills every 25-30k. Capacity varies. You don't get what's in the torque converter out, but you do get abut 3.2-3.6 Qts.

The fluid should look generally clean and should not smell burnt. If it does, I would do a second drain and fill after another 500-1000 miles. The spin on ATF filters are about $35. I've seen dealer charge as much as $60 for them. They are marked clearly as ATF and are a little smaller (4AT) than your oil filter. A lot smaller on the 5EAT

If you are going to change it... use OEM part.... Fluid... use Subaru ATF << As stated above $7 per quart and worth every penny.

Subaru did move the location of the filter from the tranny pan area (4AT) to the front of the car in 08 (5EAT). Mine is located near the drivers headlight of all places.

Here are pictures. His is the bottom photo... mine is to top

5EAT.png.0ca7111e791f5e39282b8dbf960a9bd0.png

4AT.png.25853f6c03d99139a5a85ab3e001bc80.png

I looked up that p/n and it does not say it is for my model 2007 legacy 4 speed)

In 2005, Subaru introduced the HP fluild for the then new 5sp trans. The 4sp still took the old trans fluid which was Mercon III. I had thought that the 4sp took the HP fluid as well by 2007, but I could be wrong.

The part # I gave you is backward compatable with the older trans. Subaru has dropped the old fluid and uses the HP in all trans now. If your manual shows that the older fluid is required, any brand of Mercon III can be used if you don't want to buy the Subaru fluid.

Dantenon makes a good point. The older fluid is harder to come by. If you switch, I'd do 3 full drain and fills at 300, 600 and 1k miles. This should get you transitioned to the ATF-HP

This is the old part number

SOA868V9240

4AT ATF/PSF

Just do the drain and fill. Higher mileage tranny's don't always do well if you change all the fluid, such as performing a pressurize drain and fill. If the fluid is burnt like I said above, you can dilute what you have further by doing another drain and fill after driving a little. I'd stop there. Then every 25k. Buy a new crush washer as well... My car uses different sizes for tranny and oil plugs. Yours might as well.

Archived