LegacyGT.com

Looking for a new car..

So wifey and I are looking at upgrading her 2004 Impreza 9-2x Linear ts to something a bit bigger.

It's the one on the right:

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff385/stfurtfm/IMG_0011_zps49886a14.jpg

I'm 6'4", so generous passenger front row seating is a requirement. We're expecting our first this spring, so there should be enough room behind me. Ideally a centre position LATCH system would be perfect (the MDX has a centre anchor point), else it's the outboard seats.

Price range: 45-55k. We can go slightly higher, but would prefer not to.

What I'd like:

- AWD, Wagon, Zippy, fun (moddable?)

What she likes:

- AWD, good fuel economy, good safety rating

Cars we've tested with a rear facing childs seat bucket:

Fits: 2014 Volvo XC70, XC60Acura MDX, Infiniti QX60, 2014 Outback

Doesn't Fit: 4Runner Limited (sunroof clearance)

Those are the ones that she's got her eyes set on. We've tried those wth the child seat bucket in the outboard passenger side rear seat and I've been able to get it to a manageable position... the alternative is for me to drive when we're out with the kidlet. Lots of Chinese Fire Drills in my near future.

Anything else we should try out?

Yeah, used is fine. Looked for an S6 Avant here in Canada, doesn't look like they were sold here so I'll have to import one.

One of the guys in our Subie club had a V70R before trading it in for an STI.. I don't know if I'd go with that one. He had some issues with his and, as a family vehicle I want something reliable.

Check out the Mazda CX-9 and save yourself some major cash. My wife traded her Legacy sedan for the extra room of the Mazda.

She went Durango to Suburban (for my towing wants) to Legacy to Mazda. Loves the room and driveability of the Mazda. I only use the Suburban for towing the toy hauler now.

Did you look at the 2014 MDX or an older one? They were re-designed for '14, but the prior generation should meet your criteria too. They have 3 across LATCH points.

We have a 2011 and my wife absolutely loves it. She refers to it as her "AWD couch". Gas mileage could be better, but it is a really comfortable ride, and 300 horsepower hauls it around pretty good for what it is.

I like our 2014 MDX, it's big, but doesn't feel like driving a tank.

Love the LED headlights, and the V6 feels almost just as quick as my LGT...

Great combined gas mileage around 28 MPG

We got ours at 40k flat(base FWD model) plus tax and license and etc with 0 down and 0.9% finance...lol

I like our 2014 MDX, it's big, but doesn't feel like driving a tank.

Love the LED headlights, and the V6 feels almost just as quick as my LGT...

Great combined gas mileage around 28 MPG

We got ours at 40k flat(base FWD model) plus tax and license and etc with 0 down and 0.9% finance...lol

That's a huge improvement over the second generation MDX in mpg. My wife gets ~16 city, ~22 highway.

I don't really like the way they tucked the exhaust in up under the bumper, and I prefer the stance of the second generation, probably because of the wider tires. But the weight loss the 2014 got seems to have improved both acceleration and mpg.

Wifey doesn't mind the 2013 Highlander (her sister has a 2011), but she thinks the 2014 is fugly... She hasn't seen it in person yet, so we might still go and take a look.

I agree with your wife. Might be some left over 2013s you could get a good deal on. We had a hard time finding one with awd.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you already replace it?

When you looked at the XC70, did you look at the V60? They come AWD in T5 or T6 R-Design. Not sure how the car seat situation would be, but since they offer up to two car seats when you build one, maybe it would work.

T5 has 20/29 MPG and T6 19/28 MPG.

It would have to be new since it's new for 2015 in the US and Canada.

Yeah, the V60 wasn't in the lots when we went to look at it.

She likes both the XC70 and XC90.. but with me being a big guy, headroom is a little tight with the moonroof intruding in to the cabin space.

Still looking... baby comes at the end of May so we have time.

I think you should consider looking at the Audi Q5. New 2014s fully loaded are right in your price range. Safe, roomy, awd, the 4 cylinder turbo is zippy and still decent on gas mileage at 20/28. The much quicker 3.0 liter turbo versions are offered diesel at 24/31 and petro at 18/26. With a 4 yr/50k warranty to boot IMO not a bad bet also considering, again in IMO, pretty sleek looking cars with top notch features that exhibit class. This being said, I have never owned an Audi, I just fancy them a bit. Also, the Outback for sure is a great choice for the price and quality. Good luck with the purchase.

^My wife has loved the Q5 for a long while, so when we went looking for a new car for her recently it was on the list....she HATED it once she sat in/drove it. Said there was 'nothing special' about it except exterior looks.

We ended up with a Grand Cherokee Limited. Might be good to add to the check-out list. Pretty roomy all around, but I'm also only 6'0 :lol:

^My wife has loved the Q5 for a long while, so when we went looking for a new car for her recently it was on the list....she HATED it once she sat in/drove it. Said there was 'nothing special' about it except exterior looks.

We ended up with a Grand Cherokee Limited. Might be good to add to the check-out list. Pretty roomy all around, but I'm also only 6'0 :lol:

Oh man! I had just seen my e-mail notification where you said your vote was for the V60, and now I see you went with the Grand Cherokee. Boo :p I do think they look pretty good too! Congrats on the new ride!

The Jeep website configurator horrible, probably because the are so many package combinations. The end user gets to see all the ugly things that should be kept behind the scenes.

^its pretty crazy some of the combos you can come up with....my wife's is a limited, but it's essentially built as an Overland. The only options it doesnt have are the Quadra Lift and the Overland wood steering wheel lol.

We went to the Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealership last weekend.. worst dealership experience to date.

Crowded with truck loving rednecks with cowboy hats on. 2 Asians walk into a dealership and get pretty much ignored.

We walked out of there about 30 minutes later after looking at the JGC and Durango.

We went to the Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealership last weekend.. worst dealership experience to date.

Crowded with truck loving rednecks with cowboy hats on. 2 Asians walk into a dealership and get pretty much ignored.

We walked out of there about 30 minutes later after looking at the JGC and Durango.

We had a ridiculous experience at the first Jeep/Dodge dealer we went to- told the guy exactly what we were looking for (GC Limited...) guy says "Sure! It's right over here" and proceeds to show us a used Ford Escape....and then a used 4Runner....then he ran inside and grabbed the keys to what he said we were looking for. He then proceeded to walk around the lot for 5 minutes pressing the panic button on the keys with no result....he then completely disappeared so we left :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived