LegacyGT.com

When to replace tires?

computersoc

53k miles and I'm just shy of 4/32nd's so it's time to get some new tires soon. I don't like road noise in an all season tire and I want something that is smooth like a Mercedes-Benz.

If you're driving on rough roads, you're going to get some road noise regardless of what you're driving. My simple solution to this problem is to turn up the stereo. You could also go up 10mm in width (plus zero) to add some extra sidewall as many of us with 4th LGTs have.

For 4th gen LGT: stock 215/45 17, plus zero 225/45 17, minus zero 205/50 17 (recommended for winter tires).

For winter tires, General Altimax Artic are another good, cheap option.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

dedicated snows in the winter. dedicated summers the rest of the time. no compromises. pass everyone in the winter. pass everyone in summer.

Have all seasons now (so wife doesn't see racecar). Forgotten how much they suck. Not very good in deep or slushy snow, not very good is pouring rain, not very good on dry roads.

I ran Blizzaks on cheap rims (<$80) in winter and SuperSports on nice rims ($250) in summer.

How do the summers do with the Washington rain?

How do the summers do with the Washington rain?

Excellent. Summers don't mean slicks. My Michelin Pilot SuperSports were better in the rain than all-seasons.

Actually they pretty much excelled in every category over all-seasons until it got down to freezing. Even then, I ran an autocross with snow falling on the SuperSports. They held at higher speeds than every one else right up to the limit, at which point things got dizzy (keep in mind, this was tire squealing cornering, something you would never do on the street)

To me, All-season tires are a compromise. They don't do heavy winter well, and they don't do summer well. However, you can have mediocre performance year-round. If you only have one set of wheels, they're ok. However, you're missing out on what your car can really do. The first clover leaf you take after switching will put a smile on your face, especially when you feel the need to try it again with more exuberance .

If you live in Southern California - get a max performance summer tire. You'll be much happier. For those couple of days you drive in the mountains, drive slower and you'll be fine (I drove my jag xjr on summer tires in 6 inches of snow several years back, we were doing 40 or so with no troubles).

Summer performance tires are the best performing street tires you can get for any warm weather, regardless if it's wet or dry pavement.

Here's a series of tests that used a Civic Si with the available OE summer and all-season tires plus an aftermarket winter tire (car manufactures don't tend to offer winter tires as standard equipment) all made by Michelin:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

Wet Test Results

Acceleration testing provides the first surprise, as the all-season tire trails the pack with a 15.4-second 0-60 run. The snow tire's 12.7-second effort for 2nd place is significantly better, but the summer tire tops them all with an 11.9-second performance, over 20 percent quicker than the all-season tire. In fact, the all-season tire began encountering trouble near 40 mph, where it had been only 0.4 second behind the summer tire's performance when hydroplaning and wheelspin paid a visit.

Things are much the same when braking from 60 mph. The summer tire's 157-foot stop is the shortest, the snow tires come up 2nd at 181 feet and the all-season tires lag further behind in a flurry of ABS activity on the way to a distance of 215 feet, some 58 feet longer than the summer tire.

On the wet skid pad the summer tire smokes them once more, even delivering a little tire squeal as it churns out 0.81g — a figure many car-tire combinations can't match on dry pavement. The winter tire trails with a 0.71g run characterized by noticeable squirm, presumably from the side loads acting on the numerous sipes in its snow-biased tread pattern. That said, it still bests our all-season tire, which once again brings up the rear with a disappointing 0.65g showing.

Your mileage may vary depending on the actual tires you select and the conditions you drive on (the all-seasons are competitive in some conditions during their test), but this entire article does a decent job demonstrating that purpose-built tires are optimal.

Warm weather (dry or wet) - summer tires

Cold weather (dry, snow, or ice) - winter tires

When my tire guy (when you are pushing the limits of a family wagon, you will need a "tire" guy) and I were discussing how to get better grip for my wagon, he called the head test driver for Michelin. We got test data for a subaru wagon on their test track with different Michelin tires. The supersport was only bested by the pilot sport cup.

Results don't lie. The Michelin SuperSport kicks butt. This video,

is my wagon on Michelin SuperSport tires on a 48 degree day.

On race slicks, summer temps, and a few other criteria; that lap time is less than 2:00

One more stupid question - I have outback sized tire 225/55/17 are the sidewalls stiff enough for fun (not racing, track days, spirited driving, some uncompetitive auto-cross) or should I really try and reduce the size of the sidewall and up-size to 235/45/18?

Edit: Boxkita - did you use an aftermarket seat in your wagon when racing?

One more stupid question - I have outback sized tire 225/55/17 are the sidewalls stiff enough for fun (not racing, track days, spirited driving, some uncompetitive auto-cross) or should I really try and reduce the size of the sidewall and up-size to 235/45/18?

Edit: Boxkita - did you use an aftermarket seat in your wagon when racing?

The sidewall stiffness of a summer tire is much higher than any other class of tire. Except race tires. Within each class of tire, a lower aspect ratio is going to be stiffer.

Keep in mind the middle number is a percentage not an actual number. i forget the actual calculation, however, will update later with a calculator to show the differences.

I still use a stock interior. i was in the process of spec'ing a cage harness and custom seat, when my racecar came up for sale for less than those mods.

For next year, im trying to negotiate a session in SgtGator's race wagon at a familiar track to get a brief idea of what I "could" have done.

Archived