LegacyGT.com

What winter tires for Central NY

ashwinearl

2005 LGT wagon

Virginia Transplant to Central NY, working in Rome.

What winter tires do you recommend? I plan on going snowboarding to the CNY hills like Woodsvalley outside of Rome, Macauley Mtn, Labrador, Toggenburg, and heading to tug hill area to learn XC skiing.

I don't have sway bars yet, but am planning on getting some mid-sized matched pair front and rear.

Any advice is appreciated for living/driving up there.

2005 LGT wagon

Virginia Transplant to Central NY, working in Rome.

What winter tires do you recommend? I plan on going snowboarding to the CNY hills like Woodsvalley outside of Rome, Macauley Mtn, Labrador, Toggenburg, and heading to tug hill area to learn XC skiing.

I don't have sway bars yet, but am planning on getting some mid-sized matched pair front and rear.

Any advice is appreciated for living/driving up there.

Nice I have a place up in Caroga Lake, not far from Rome. I would get a set of Blizzaks or X-Ice for the winters up there.

Lots of fun winter driving too.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Well, I learned the hardway that there is a dedicated window for buying snow tires. Down here, there were none to be had. I decided to downsize to a 205/50R17 for snow and went with a Conti Extreme Winter Contact studdless winter tire.

We got 12" here in northern Virginia and my the tires are sitting in the back of my car. I spent half the day shoveling out the driveway and was able to get them installed today in time for a trip to Snowshoe WV tomorrow.

The Xice3 were available in my stock size 215/45R17 but they were pricy.

The contis will do just fine. The good thing about x-ice is they are LRR or "green". Same with the Nokians. I had Nokians on my car and took a spring break trip from

NY to FL and drove no less than 80mph the whole way and got 30.9 mpg on a 2.5i!

I just got a pair of the Goodyear WRT and they are pretty mushy on dry pavement. Haven't gone far enough to test mpg. They seem pretty good in the snow ill most likely find out tomorrow.

Greatest thing about the Nokians is they are still really good on dry pavement for a snow tire.

Good call on going narrower; always makes snows more effective because they can cut through instead of slide on top.

Archived