LegacyGT.com

99 Outback LTD tranny

A little confusion here on understanding why the 99 is in a different forum while it still has the same body style as 96+. So here is my dilemma, I can pick up a 99 Outback limited at a very good price with a shot tranny. The good price is because the owner and shops said that the tranny of older outbacks are completely different and they can't find one. Is this so, or do I have to go to the 3 gen forum to figure this out, because I can pick up several auto trannys for cheap.....I guess Ill have a fleet of outbacks soon if I get this one.

If you go onto car-part.com you'll see what all fits what. Although it didn't look like there is any used ones in NV but most of the neighboring states seem to have some. There are two different transmissions for a 99 OB. You'd have to get the number off the white sticker on the trans bellhousing at the top. It's a production date deal. GL.

Thanks, spooning. Great resource. I think I'll still try getting the car then the tranny, its a 99 OB ltd with not too high of mileage. Here is the other question. What if I put the drivetrain from a 97-98 is the edu/tcu the same connections?

The reason the 1999 model year is split across two forums is because Japan's '99 model is the one we didn't get until '00. So the sub-forum titles account for this. It's best to go by whether or not yours is a "second gen" or a "third gen." Sounds like it's a second gen, in which case the connections should be the same, yes. The connections might even be the same for the third gen... Subarus are fun because the parts interchangeability is wide and varied across many model years.

Well it looks like Ill have plenty of time to figure it out....its now sitting at my father in-laws. It drove fine up to 35 mph but wasn't taking a chance of going over it from the shops diagnosis. I now have a 99 OB ltd with 241k on the clock for ....wait for it...$350.

Studded winter tires, interior is great shape, outside is decent ( a couple of cleanup hours will change that) with a not so good transmission and from the looks of it leaky ps pump and valve cover gaskets.

Plan of attack: pull engine and tranny, go through engine and replace gasket seals etc. Buy a used tranny, stick it all back together.

97 98 and now 99 Outbacks ...is there more????

read the trans ID# on the trans bell housing at the starter.

if it is a TZ102Z2DBA, then it has a 96 - 98 auto trans.

(very, very, very few 99 outbacks had this trans , if any.)

but it is probably a TZ1A2ZJEBA, which is a phase 2 auto trans.

the 00 - 03 outback auto trans will swap in. (not 04s)

(almost all 99 outbacks had this auto trans.)

car-partcom will only match the EXACT same year and model trans.

but experience has taught us that the years listed above will also work.

read the trans ID# on the trans bell housing at the starter.

if it is a TZ102Z2DBA, then it has a 96 - 98 auto trans.

(very, very, very few 99 outbacks had this trans , if any.)

but it is probably a TZ1A2ZJEBA, which is a phase 2 auto trans.

the 00 - 03 outback auto trans will swap in. (not 04s)

(almost all 99 outbacks had this auto trans.)

car-partcom will only match the EXACT same year and model trans.

but experience has taught us that the years listed above will also work.

Thanks for your help on this also. It is the EBA. I located one near by, now only to pay for it...3 Subaru Outbacks in 4 months has left my wife a little overwhelmed and not looking forward to lots of money spent. Flip side, as I aptly pointed out to her is, I just paid over $200 for a power steering flush and oil change on her 02 Audi A4 and at the same place paid $350 for a whole car.:rolleyes:

Something to check on that tranny: the phase 2 tyranny has an external atf filter. I've seen a few that were acting strange and an oem filter and fluid change fixed the issue. A lot of people and shops will put on an aftermarket engine oil filter, in fact if you go to an auto parts store they will tell you they are the same.

The OEM ATF filter has a pressure valve inside to regulate the psi that operates the trans. It is specifically designed for that transmission. May be worth a try

Something to check on that tranny: the phase 2 tyranny has an external atf filter. I've seen a few that were acting strange and an oem filter and fluid change fixed the issue. A lot of people and shops will put on an aftermarket engine oil filter, in fact if you go to an auto parts store they will tell you they are the same.

The OEM ATF filter has a pressure valve inside to regulate the psi that operates the trans. It is specifically designed for that transmission. May be worth a try

I will try that before any removal of said tranny and engine.:)

these guys have several 02 - 03 auto trans that will fit for $650.

TZ1A4ZCDBA

A07996

$650

Airport Auto Wrecking

USA-NV(Reno)

775-825-6761

Oh, yeah they know me by first name basis. I've rebuilt most of an interior and dash from their parts, not to mention 2 sets of WRX seats.

I'm going the tranny flush route and then figure out if what needs to be done. I only drove the car 3 miles below 40 mph. The shop it came from was going to replace the tranny from a donor car in the back, but it was the wrong one. They didn't even diagnose the tranny. It was the previous owner bringing in an estimate of what another shop had told him. Nobody wanted to deal with it...so along comes me..;)

It would be funny though paying more for a $650 tranny than the whole car.

what are the symptoms?

what did they say it was doing?

Well thats the whole thing. The shop it was sitting at didn't do anything to diagnose it. I just asked who's car it was and got the story that the owner wanted to get rid of it. I ran to bank got the money. meet the owner got the pink slip and car, drove it home and parked it. I haven't touched it in 3 days. IIt drove fine under 40 mph.

rather than buying an auto trans,

i would look for a wrecked car or one with a bad engine.

a 00 - 03 outback, forester, or GT auto trans will work.

plus you will get all thoses other parts like,

seats

wheels

tires?

the down side to this idea is that none of the body parts will swap.

but after you pull the parts that will swap,

you can either sell parts or just sell it for scrap, $250 -$300.

or find a 96 - 99 outback or GT that needs an engine and go the other way.

this makes more sense because all the parts will swap.

but you have to be patient and wait for the deal to come to you.

This weekend I'll take some time to figure out whats going on with the car if it isn't snowing. I will go the atf first then see whats happening. Im not worried about waiting for great deals, thats how I got this one, but now having 3 Outbacks and 1 02 Audi A4, getting around isn't a prob. Im selling the Audi and that will pay for what ever needs to done on any of the cars, plus might land me another 98 with a blown engine. I figure I'll take the engine and tranny out of one R&R it and replace as needed.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, this got interesting. I went to pick up the car to drive it to the DMV. Started right up, let it warm up, then drove it one block and it lost all gears...nothing, no reverse or forward gears. I had to push it, then it caught drive while my wife was in the car steering. I decided not to f around with it and found the right JEBA tranny drove 3 hours and picked it up. Now I'm going to drain completely the newer tranny reseal and install. Any ideas what could have caused the complete loss of gears? And Im having a little trouble removing the drive shaft from back of tranny. I could find anything on the search.

the drive shaft just slides out of the trans,

once you have remove the carrier bearing support cross member.

you probably should disconnect the shaft from the rear diff as well.

IF you separate the front and rear sections of the drive shaft,

MARK them so you can reinstall the exact same way.

i hear they are balanced.

the 99 0 00 auto trans had a know issue with seals.

they leaked internally and the trans would bee slow to engage.

this may have something to do with it .

did you try new fluid and a bottle of TRANS-X.??

the drive shaft just slides out of the trans,

once you have remove the carrier bearing support cross member.

you probably should disconnect the shaft from the rear diff as well.

IF you separate the front and rear sections of the drive shaft,

MARK them so you can reinstall the exact same way.

i hear they are balanced.

the 99 0 00 auto trans had a know issue with seals.

they leaked internally and the trans would bee slow to engage.

this may have something to do with it .

did you try new fluid and a bottle of TRANS-X.??

No I haven't..never heard of Trans-x

I was just going to pull it anyway since that was enough of a scare to loose all gears.

This weekend I'll take some time to figure out whats going on with the car if it isn't snowing. I will go the atf first then see whats happening. Im not worried about waiting for great deals, thats how I got this one, but now having 3 Outbacks and 1 02 Audi A4, getting around isn't a prob. Im selling the Audi and that will pay for what ever needs to done on any of the cars, plus might land me another 98 with a blown engine. I figure I'll take the engine and tranny out of one R&R it and replace as needed.

Wow, 3 Outbacks- that is cool :-) I'm happy to have a Legacy and now an Impreza

I pulled the tranny oil cover off and found this....crunch crunch went something. Well needless to say since I can't upload a pic for what ever reason (file failed to upload), there was lots of metal shards on the original pan magnet. Not to mention the filter was the not right one. On goes the replacement this week.

Archived