LegacyGT.com

PCV valve '02 Legacy L

Schultz

I have an '02 Legacy L with 2.5L engine. Last winter it started running rough and having a strong exhaust smell. I asked my mechanic about it, but he didn't really think it was running that rough. So I just let it go for a little while, and it eventually went away when the weather warmed up. But this winter it started doing the same thing again.

After a little research, I've come to suspect that a clogged PCV valve is to blame. But I've run into a snag in my attempt to replace it. The one which shows up in every auto parts database is not even close to a match for the installed valve. The diameter of the threaded side is much smaller on the new one, while the diameter of the hose side is much larger. Every parts store I can find lists the same wrong part.

I'm wondering if Subaru may have changed that in the middle of the production year. But if so, why aren't they both listed as a possibility?

Then I had them look at other Subaru models from the same year, and the one for the 6-cylinder '02 Outback looks like a match. But nobody has it in stock. So before I have them order it, and more importantly before I install a part which isn't listed as being for my car, I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue. I'm guessing that as long as it will thread into the crankcase, it will work. But I just want to check first.

In the mean time, I cleaned out the old valve (it was pretty bad) with carb cleaner, and re-installed it. The car definitely runs more smoothly and the smell is gone. But it's still a little rough when idling, so I'd like to put a completely new PCV valve in sometime soon.

Archived