LegacyGT.com

05 XT Banjo Question

Just bought a new used 05 XT outback with ZERO service history.

I've done lots to (hopefully) get a lot more years out of the car. Timing belt, water pump, among others.

The last step is the banjo filter. The car has 174k km and am planning on stage 2 tune in the upcoming weeks.

My reasoning:

If the banjo filter is terribly dirty when I take it out, put in a new filter (bought one from subaru for 15$, banjo bolt and filter)

If it is clean, then take it out to support the upcoming tune.

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

I'm a relatively new lgt owner, and have been doing a lot of reading on the banjo bolt. I think you have a few options:

If you want to leave your banjo bolt filter in, religiously change your oil every 3,000 miles and check/change your banjo bolt every 30,000 miles.

Pull your banjo bolt filter. Dirty oil is better than no oil.

Upgrade your oil delivery system - http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-995/IP%26T-Filtered-Turbo-Oil/Detail

If I was planning to go stage 2, this is the route I would go. I recently talked to a subaru mechanic while waiting for parts, he said he has never seen a clogged banjo bolt filter but has seen plenty of clogged oil lines. Apparently, when the oil gets really hot and you don't let the engine idle for a bit, the line can get "coked up". So i a bigger oil delivery and filtration system sounds like the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps

Yes thanks! That helped, however as coincidence would have it the turbo just died yesterday, classic smoke, no power, and rattling sound. Luckily it wasn't catastrophic so seeing how bad the damage will be.

Archived