LegacyGT.com

Grinding in back left wheel 97 LGT

I just recently got my lgt out of coma status and back on the road. I picked it up as a salvage title and did a rebuild on it. Everything on it seems to be working really good in terms of the engine, but when driving (usually under 45 mph) theres this grinding in the back left wheel that isnt completely constant, it sounds like it happens every couple of rotations of the tire, and me and my father cannot figure out what it is. Granted, we havent taken everything apart to check everything out, but i was wondering if anyone else has ever come across this same situation. Also, not a higher pitched scraping, but a deeper grinding noise.

Same thing was up with mine, I believe that what you'll find it's either bad rotor, bad brake pad or your caliper is getting stuck. could also be that the e-brake is sticking.

97 had all around disc brakes right?

Anyway, jack up the rear end and spin your tires. (make sure both rears are off the ground. or you could mess up the differential)

all the rotors just got changed and so did the pads, we're still gonna jack it up and check calipers, also the axle, with it being in a wreck (at some point, i didnt own it then) we're almost scared to see whats actually wrong with it haha, but thanks for the input, ill jack it up tomorrow whenever i wake up. just gonna suck, cause we're having unusually cold weather for dallas right now.

Might just be a wheel bearing, jack the car up in the rear grab the wheel at the top and bottom and wiggle it around, if there is any play in the wheel it typically means the bearing are loose and going bad.

Do you hear it at the hub or the rear differential on that side, a bad wheel bearing will howl and feel gravelly.

Yeah most will move with that design if they are bad enough to feel, the inner race wears down and grease falls out most that I have seen. If you have stethoscopes or even a wooden handled hammer to hear the vibration. Check your rear cv's too while your at it, they make some funny noises very different from the front cv's, especially in reverse.

• 2 weeks later...
This sounds like mine too. It makes a rumbling sound from the driver's side rear, especially when making a right turn but sporadically going straight, at higher speeds also. My wife described she can feel it through the floorboard- so "gravelly" would describe that too.

Archived