LegacyGT.com

gas smell

tink1279

So I have a 2000 legacy outback wagon with almost 160k miles on it which I bought used almost a year ago. Anyway now it smells like gas when driven. Could this be the head gaskets needing replaced. I doubt it was ever done before. Just trying to get some thoughts on this or other possible issues that it may be. Thanks and I appreciate it.

I was researching this today since my '05 is doing this periodically.

I suppose it's possible that it could be leaking HGs and the smell of coolant mixing in with your oil is what you smell and it smells terrible. FYI, my HGs blew on my '99 Legacy the only symptom was that the engine temperature spiked for about a minute.

Have you checked the fuel filter to ensure that it is isn't leaking? It should be near the fire wall on the driver's side. If youre subject to this could weather that we have been having that could be your problem right there. And that's an easy fix.

The hoses where the crossover pipe attaches to the injector rail (for whatever reason) tend to leak when it's cold. You can tighten up the clamps and that may fix the issue, or you may have to replace the hose. Depends on how bad it is.

Dunno why but I've seen a few doing it lately now that the temp has been in the single digits or below.

Thanks for the replies. It was the hoses needing tighten, well so far that seems to have stopped it. Being in MD that temps have been in the single digits here the last couple of weeks, it hasn't been this cold here for this long in long awhile.

Archived