LegacyGT.com

Rumbling noise

My mechanic has got the car and couldn't duplicate the noise (since it's intermittent). I'm trying to think what else on the car might make a rumbling noise in a right turn (that lasts for a few seconds and doesn't change pitch). He's looking at the driveshaft, u-joints etc... also.

My mechanic went ahead and replaced the rear driver's side wheel bearing based on the noise I'd been hearing. He had checked the front drivers side bearing too and said it made a little noise when turned by hand, but moved freely and had no play.

Not without other issues though. He said the bolt holding the speed sensor broke off so he had to drill that out. He charged an additional $75 for drilling out the bolt (is it customary for a mechanic to charge extra for something like that?- I know my suspension is fairly rusty, but I figure snapping off a bolt on an old car comes with the territory). I don't recall having to pay extra for broken bolts any other time...

Anyway, he described there was a backing plate of some sort that was rusty and had some rust flaking off, that was contacting a little (with a scraping noise) when he was putting it back together, but he didn't hear anything when he test drove it.

So I get it back and basically I hear the scraping noise on every right turn now. I'm thinking it's maybe the axle contacting something (vs. a brake rotor hitting a high spot on a rusty backing plate (which I had happen on another car after new rotors were put on, until the high spot wore down).

Can I expect this scraping noise to fade away eventually wearing off any rusty spots on the backing plate he was referring to (I haven't seen it so I can only go by what he told me), or might this be something more serious that I need to have him look at again?

• 3 weeks later...
Update- I was riding in the back seat, behind my son who was driving, and heard and felt the rumbling/ grinding noise on the hard right turn where it usually acts up, so I guess it wasn't the wheel bearing after all. If not that, then what?

Archived