LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Kit Recomendations

• 1 month later...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/10/myma4yma.jpg

1st off buy this Gates kit from Amazon.

Gates TCK328 Timing Belt Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

GL

First off, thanks everyone for the great info on this thread. Quick question, I just received my Gates TCK328 kit in the mail. I opened it to verify all the parts were there and noticed it says "Model: All with manual transmission"

I have an automatic... is this kit going to work for me or do I need to ship it back?

Thanks!

I've installed well over 100 gates TCKWP328RB kits and have never had a single issue with any of them.

Yes, the blue comes off the belt and sticks to the idlers. Has this ever caused a problem? No. I'd rather have the assurance of a stronger, less stretchy belt from the layer of kevlar than worry about blue ink on my idlers.

The Crawford water pump thing is a horse poop. Depending on the manufacturing run, some OEM water pumps have the stamped impeller, and some have the cast one. The "Crawford" water pump was no more than them picking out the cast OEM ones and selling them as upgraded ones. Probably why they don't have them in their catalog anymore. I believe all new OEM pumps are cast impellers. I have seen both styles in the gates kits.

You should be paying no more than $450 USD for a full Gates kit with water pump and blue belt. If you can't find one for less than that, I'll sell you one for under $400 USD shipped to US.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

First off, thanks everyone for the great info on this thread. Quick question, I just received my Gates TCK328 kit in the mail. I opened it to verify all the parts were there and noticed it says "Model: All with manual transmission"

I have an automatic... is this kit going to work for me or do I need to ship it back?

I'm guessing most of you already knew this, but I just got off the phone with Gates and they said it's the same part for both an automatic and a manual transmission...just FYI.

Amazon by far has the cheapest price on the TCK328.

I ordered the rest of the oem parts (water pump, gasket just in case, thermostat, gasket and all my drive belts) from m sprank even though I probably could have gotten everything off of amazon for cheaper. Even at that I think I spent a few bucks over $300 for everything with shipping.

I'd add subaru coolant and special magic additive (not critical, most coolant is ok but I go with better safe than sorry if you are already going to the dealer).

If you haven't done them recently, its a good time to do upper and lower radiator hoses and new acc belts.

Also consider a new crank pulley.

And just don't do what I did, which was to break off the turbo coolant return line nipple on the radiator while manually cranking the engine.

I did the same thing. It wasn't just you. I used the gates kit.

So mwiener2 I need the TCK328 gates kit, plus the factory water pump and thermostat? It shows the TCK307 as fitting the Leggy 2.5i with auto where the TCK328 does not.

He must have thought you were a turbo model. I think you should be good with the TCK307, oem water pump it may or may not come with the gasket, oem thermostat and gasket.

• 4 weeks later...

There has been an occasional question regarding the Gates TCK328 kit for manual vs. automatic equipped cars.

Included in my kit which just arrived, the answer is that although the kit fits both, those with 5-spd trans have belt guides to adjust for the gap to the belt. The kit includes an adjusting shim for this purpose.

I attempted to attach a scan of the Gates Technical service Bulletin to this post, but was not able to do so.

Archived