LegacyGT.com

Random Engine jerking in cold weather/cruise control problem

Hello fellow forum members.

I don't post much as most everything is already covered but I am having a hard time deciphering this problem.

After a long trip in that wicked snowstorm last year that ran up the eastern seaboard in February, my legacy 2.5 NA through up a CEL. I stopped to get gas and when I went to start the car back up again, it would not start up just turned over. Not knowing what to do next I tried the gas pedal while turning over and voila it started however required constant pedaling to stay running then would idle after some driving time. I pulled the code and found it only to be a loose gas cap. However to this day, this no start thing still happens.

More recently than that, I have noticed that when using cruise control, the car seems to not be able to hold a steady application of acceleration. It is constantly fluctuating it's level of acceleration to the point you can feel yourself moving in the seat as it does it. This happens regardless of temperature.

The jerking occurs only in cold weather and it doesn't seem to matter if the engine is warm or not. When driving at any speed really but not ever under hard acceleration it will randomly jerk as if the fuel was cutting out or a misfire is happening however no codes are present.

Also the other day, my wife was driving and she stopped to bring the little one into daycare and when she returned the car had stalled. She started back up and then minutes later started on a massive misfiring rampage. She parked the car and I came and had a look finding that there were misfire codes for all cylinders as well as a Cam Shaft sensor code and something for the oil control valve I think. I reset them and the car has been running fine ever since.

Recent work that we have just performed just before all the recent misfire codes: Head Gaskets, Piston Rings, PCV Valve and I have replaced an oxygen sensor. I have also just tried cleaning the MAF but no luck.

Has anyone else had something similar happen? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am spinning my wheels now. I don't want to just throw parts at it that aren't really needed.

Thanks!

Kinda sounds like a fueling issue possibly a bad injector or pump. How old are the spark plugs? very annoying when it's something like this always a lot of variables. Do u have learning view or rom raider? That could help diagnose your problem def worth getting those.

Archived