LegacyGT.com

Clutch won't disengage

Scruit

So I got my car back. Cost me $1250.

The tech had no solid reason for the failure except that the pressure plate "must have gone". The pressure plate show no signs of any kind of damage, just that it's old. The friction plate and throwout bearing were due to be replaced, but there was no explanation why why the clutch refused to disengage.

I did notice that the new clutch is so damn light that when I first got in I thought the pedal wasn't even hooked up. The factory and first replacement clutches were both very heavy. This one is so light I'm having to get used to it like driving a different car.

The concern about the clutch brand was a non-issue. Tech said that he though the old clutch should have been something other than Sachs, but when he got the new clutch from parts it was identical.

So, at the end of the day, I have no clue what happened other than I did my next clutch swap about 5k miles sooner than I otherwise would have. Huh.

The DMFW has not been replaced or resurfaced. Apparently it's fine.

The problem is that you paid more to do the clutch kit on your car than if you put in a SMFW + SMFW Clutch Kit, and as others have said the FW will eventually delaminate and you'll have to do it all again :( Although at this point what's done is done...

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived