LegacyGT.com

STI swap

What I can see in cost to rebuild and upgrade LGT EJ255 engine. It would be cheaper to by low mile STI engine.

I debating something like this myself. The reason I went with a rebuild was so I could ensure after dropping all that coin I didn't buy someone else's problem.

The entire STI swap though is largely a joke. Forged pistons and improved heads, boom, you're doing what an STI motor is doing. Most stage 2 folks like myself are already putting out more power then a stock STI.

^^ Very true. I'm not sure you need much to compete with a stock STI at all...upgraded fueling, intake, exhaust and a vf52 and you're past where the STI is stock.

Upgraded internals are great for power but most builders told me it was a waste if my goals were under 400whp.

What I can see in cost to rebuild and upgrade LGT EJ255 engine. It would be cheaper to by low mile STI engine.

There's also an element of trust with buying a used block... It always makes me curious as to why they would pull a low mile block? Too, sellers often expect top dollar for such an animal. Which made the plunge to go new for me a simple choice.

Rebuilding the 255 has advantages an disadvantages as well. Parts are easy to find but if something is off with the build you'll be in the same boat in a few short

I looked at similar things when I was in the same boat. Rebuilding the block is a solid option although most build a block for power vs longevity. I'd definitely do my homework on what that would require. For example: forged pistons are great for strength but require more clearance to the cylinder walls, as they expand more than cast, this often results in piston slap on start up and increases wear on the cylinder walls and eventually results in blow by. Rebuilds are often at 50k or less on a block built or power as opposed to upwards of 100k on OE blocks, and much longer depending on how they are driven/modded/tuned. This is why I went with an new ej257 block and sold what I couldn't reuse...

In retrospect, there's a part of me that wishes I would have built for power...or at least upgraded to drop in pistons on the new block but if I have to deal with this again I will have different goals in mind as opposed to a 100k car.

Archived