LegacyGT.com

Towing a heavy load

Hey guys, this thread isn't really legacy related but I may have to tow a car next week with my 97 legacy wagon. I haven't towed a car before and I was just wondering about specific techniques when driving manual and pulling a heavy load. Are there specific ways to release the clutch? Do i need to increase rpm on first pull?? Any tips from experienced folk??

1/ just because your lego will pull the load at 60 mph does not mean you can STOP safely when going 60.

slow down.

2/ stop sooner. way sooner. more than one car has been pushed into an intersection by a towed load.

2/ i would stay off of the hiway at busy times. travel at low traffic times. the middle of the night isn't a bad time, if you have lights for the towed car.

3/ turn wider.

4/ pulling into and out of parking lots, drive ways and intersection takes more than twice a long since your vehicle is now more than twice as long. plus you are moving slower.

5/ don't eat, drink, or talk on the phone while towing.

it isn't worth it.

6/ slow down.

7/ you lego is rated for a top towed weight of 2000 lbs.

and any thing over 1000 requires electric brakes.

what are you towing?

on a trailer? or dolly?

are you renting?

how far?

hill country?

an auto trans is better for towing since the ''clutch / shift'' system is automatic. but a trans oil cooler is recommended.

getting the load moving may wear on your clutch.

if you stop for lunch or whatever parking pointing down hill will help on the next start up.

your car can pull way more than your brakes can stop.

be careful,

and slow down.

I might have to rent a dolly to tow a corolla next week. It's undetermined if I will need to but if I do, it's only going to be for a 5 minute trip. I'm not worried about braking and reversing. I'm just wondering if there are any techniques that I can do to protect my clutch from extensive wear. And I ask this for future reasons and for anyone else to benefit from.

I might have to rent a dolly to tow a corolla next week. It's undetermined if I will need to but if I do, it's only going to be for a 5 minute trip. I'm not worried about braking and reversing. I'm just wondering if there are any techniques that I can do to protect my clutch from extensive wear. And I ask this for future reasons and for anyone else to benefit from.

The main thing is to let the clutch out as soon as practical. It is going to take a little longer to get going, so you might have to engage the clutch a little slower than normal. If you minimize your starts and stops, time signals, roll stop signs, you shouldn't have any appreciable wear on the clutch.

The main thing is to let the clutch out as soon as practical. It is going to take a little longer to get going, so you might have to engage the clutch a little slower than normal. If you minimize your starts and stops, time signals, roll stop signs, you shouldn't have any appreciable wear on the clutch.

Thanks for the tips!

Don't you know someone with a truck or SUV you could use? I wouldn't tow with my LGT especially if it was a manual and you not knowing how to tow.

Tow dolly = 400lbs

Corolla = 3000lbs

3400lbs towed by a Legacy, no thanks. Not saying it cant do it, I just wouldn't. I would ditch the dolly and just get a tow strap. I see you said only a 5 min drive so you should be fine just don't burn the clutch up.

Archived