LegacyGT.com

98 Leggy L starting issues????

Ok...so I'm at my wits end with my beateroo and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with it.

My Legacy is 98, 2.2L, automatic fun box. It was a "hand-me-down" that needed a ton of work when I got it, but was happy to jump into an awd car after playing with Hondas most of my life. Here lately it's been giving me fits with what I'm assuming is the fuel delivery. It ran great (especially for a car that has nearly 200,000 miles on it) until around a month ago when it started missing, hesitating and struggling for power every time I started it. The check engine light came on and after reading the codes, they came back as random cylinder misfires on cylinders 2,3 and 4. Changed plugs and wires, but nothing changed. Changed the ignition coil, still the same. I decided to think old school for a second and put some Heet in the tank and found that my filler neck had pretty much detached itself from the mount and I could clearly see the ground through the giant hole left behind. Seeing that, I pulled the fuel pump and the sock filter on the pump was completely covered with what appeared to be dirt/dust. I thoroughly cleaned the sock and also changed the fuel filter under the hood just to be on the safe side. The car ran great again...until the tank got below half full. Pulled the pump and the sock was filthy again. Cleaned it and reinstalled it, car ran great again...until the tank was nearly empty. Went through the process again, filled up the next day and things go worse. Pulled into my parking space and after a few hours, tried to start it and noting...cranks all day, but no fire. I checked the screen, clean, and had a friend listen for the pump to prime, which it does, but no go. After sitting for a few days, I tried to start it again, it started, ran for a few seconds then died.

I've searched threads all over to get a bead on what may be the culprit, but coming up empty. I didn't check the timing belt yet, but I've heard broken timing belts before on Hondas and it doesn't have that "sound" when cranking...but with a boxer engine, I'm on unfamiliar ground. Could it be that the pump had enough of that "dirt" in the tank and just gave out? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Your gonna have to drain and flush the tank, lines and fuel rail/injectors. Also change the fuel filter. Removing these tanks are a PIA because you have to drop the rear diff down enough to get the tank out. So maybe if there's a drain cock, not sure, drain the remaining gas and flush it out with fresh gas. You can reuse the gas if you filter it with a paint strainer. For the lines I would disconnect them from the filter and blow them out with a air compressor until clean. Back flush with work any crud out. For the injectors just run Lucas through the system once fully clean. Since the fuel filter is near the engine I don't think much if any got into the rail/injectors.

Ok...here's a little update...

Swapped out the original fuel pump with one from a donor Subie and got it running. While I was going to replace the donor fuel pump I took a look down in the tank and it looked like beach down in the tank! From what I can gather, apparently, the rusted filler neck was letting TONS of dirt/debris down the tank. Tried to stay away from dropping the tank (as I don't have access to a garage at the time), so I drained the tank and processed to flush the tank as best I could. Reinstalled the donor pump for the time being as to not damage the new Walboro that I purchased and fired it up. So far, so good. I did put a fair share of water remover in this tank as well as installed a new fuel filter under the hood. As soon as a whole tank runs through this go, I'm going to install the new pump along with a new fuel filter and a nice fuel stabilizer/de-carbonizer to clear up any moisture or whatnot still in the system.

Archived