LegacyGT.com

Randomly cracked body panel?

My trunk didn't close the the first time today so I opened it and pushed it down harder with the palm of my hand. I felt a pop and this happened. There was no damage before hand but this area popped in! It's relatively cold here so maybe that's it but im really upset this could happen.

This is a 2005 gt wagon and it's the plastic bit below the rear window. Why is this plastic even?

uploadfromtaptalk1389138534904.thumb.jpg.0ac4c0d02017660d632335c844d4d7ff.jpg

The good news is that piece is fairly easy to remove. I had to do it to install my wife's reverse camera.

Whats the best way to take it off? I think mine is squeaking a bit, and I'd like to pull it off, clean up behind it, check the plastic pieces, and reinstall it.

Thanks-

Whats the best way to take it off? I think mine is squeaking a bit, and I'd like to pull it off, clean up behind it, check the plastic pieces, and reinstall it.

Thanks-

You have to take the back panel off, first. Then, you'll see a bunch of small nuts that hold it on. If I remember correctly once you take them off it just pops right out.

Mine did the same thing last week. I slipped on ice, fell into it and heard a snap.

Plastic must be too thin. My OB is black also. Looks like we will have a race in the spring to find a black panel.......

Peace,

Greg

well my car dark blue purple so I'll lrt you know if I see a black one! I am guess it will end up in a trip to the dealers though given the relative rarity of our car. Perhaps it's the same for outbacks of the same vintage but I need to fix it soon as I haven't had a scratch on a car till now and it's driving me crazy :(

Helpful advice...

While you're in there check your tailgate wiring too. It's much easier to do it all once...

What goes wrong with the wiring? I do want to put in a back up cam bu y am trying to not stack up projects.

Archived