LegacyGT.com

New to the turbo group

Just bought a 93 turbo wagon. Got it stupid cheap. I'm planning on swapping the motor into my gen 2 however I would like to get it running good before I pull it. Currently under WOT or any throttle really its studders really bad and has not power. On the flat it will get going but on any grade it just doesn't have the power to pull itself forward. Mass has been replaced already, Good fuel pressure, guy said he pulled his cats and they looked fine so I'm not thinking there is blockage. Where else should I be looking?

I had similar problems with my SS and after many months of frustration and troubleshooting my wife has a sweet tleg.

First clean your MAF, i don care if you replaced it, CLEAN it!!! I did everything else before this and ultimately that was the underlying issue. However during the diagnostic process I found many, many other issues.

Check for boost leaks. The turbo inlet elbow cracks and that's the first place to check. Check all other vacuum lines as well. The turbo inlet gasket also fails. I made a boost leak tester and posted a DIY thread in this forum if you want to build your own.

Check the injectors. Get a multimeter and check the resistance across the pins and see if they are in spec.

Now that you have a multimeter check the coil pack. Check the resistance across the primary and secondaries and make sure theyre within spec. I have also posted these specs in other threads. You didn't mention if your donor car is 4eat or 5mt. The Diamond 5mt coil pack is more desirable so swap on a good one and you will feel a difference.

22T head gaskets can fail just like 2.5 HGs so keep that in mind. Mine did.

Run some sea foam and injector cleaner if you want. Replace the pcv valve, spark plugs, and wires.

Replace the fuel filter and air filter.

But clean your MAF first!!!

I also replaced the stock fuel pump with a Walbro 255lph. That pump delivers! :)

Once you get the tleg running smooth, You may just want to roll with it! Hope this helps and ask away.

Also, bbslegacycentral is the best source for first gen info so read up!

I will clean the maf this week first or all. I plan on checking for boost/vacuum leaks as well and will go through all of that. What resistance should I see at the injectors so I have some sort of reference?

Coil pack is brand new as well as far as I know but I will check that regardless. The car is a 4eat. And it didn't look like a head gasket. Fluids are all the proper colors and consistency. The body on this car is crap so its def getting the swap, I just want a good running engine without issues before I start digging into it. I'll go join BBS while I'm at it. Thank you.

The injectors should read 11-12 ohms according to the FSM.

Since you have the 4eat I highly recommend doing the power mode mod. It does wonders on a first gen. I don't know if you have heard of it but it changes the shifting maps and makes them a lot more aggressive. You can stomp on the gas and it won't shift until it hits high rpms. All you have to do is ground pin 4 of the ecu. I wired mine up to a relay and switch so I could have an indicator light. Thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rocker-switch-question-198670.html

When you end up pulling the motor definitely replace the plastic oil separator plate with the new metal one. The plastic ones are prone to cracking.

If you want more power you can also throw on a td04 and tmic and crank up the boost with a manual boost controller. It's on my list of things to do. I have a mint td04 sitting in the basement, but it's too cold outside and I don't have a garage.

Archived