LegacyGT.com

Timing belt replacement on a 2.2L

I'm looking at at a replacement for my wrecked '97 wagon and found a '98 2.2L wagon. The car has almost 155K on it, but no one knows the last time the timing belt was replaced. The car looks in great shape, but I'm still concerned about the timing belt. When do factory timing belts start to go (if at all) or would it be likely that it has been replaced already? It seems like it's a great deal, but with my luck I'll drive it for 6 months and the timing belt fails. So I guess I'm just looking for some piece of mind......or another 2.2 one with info on the timing belt.

Thanks.

They are usually good for about 100k~

It is super easy to replace, especially on a 2.2. You will want to replace all of the components (pulleys and water pump) as well as reseal the front of the motor. The reseal consists of 2 cam seals, 1 crank seal, a small oil pump o-ring and some RVT for the oil pump.

You can buy a kit from mizumoauto ' s ebay store for $200~ with everything but the oil pump seal.

Here's the maintenance schedule. Note that there's a difference between 49-state and California-state schedules. See the "comments" at the bottom if you're a Cali vehicle.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

the timing belt interval for the 98 ej22 is 60k miles.

so if it has been done on time, it is due at 180k.

but typically the belts do not fail.

it is the toothed idler.

so i would replace the belt, all idlers, the tensioner and the water pump. ($250 parts)

(if any of these parts fail, you are looking at a valve job.)

throw in $40 for seals and do the cam & crank, and reseal the oil pump.

do this and you are good for 60k miles.

as suggested in other posts,

some folks just replace the belt.

this means that the idlers MAY be 160k miles old.

I would replace the belt, tensioner & idler pulleys and seals if you get the car. The 2.2 liter became interference starting in 1997 so a failure of the belt or one of the pulleys would be catastrophic to the engine. When I bought my '98 I was thinking it was non-interference (based on the Gates timing belt guide) but after being on this forum the past few months, I have since learned otherwise.

Timing belts on the ej22 are extremely easy and made simple due to the position of the engine. Most ej22 timing belts I've seen replaced at 65-70k kilometers. If you're really concerned about the condition of the belt, you can very easily remove the timing belt cover and take a look at the belt and hardware. I recommend replacing all other hardware while replacing the belt. For example, idler pulley's water pump and tensioner.

Here's something that can make your life a lot easier.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

That's a video by eric the car guy

And this video is by RatchetsAnd Wrenches. However, this is done on an ej25 but the process is almost identical.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Is the hydraulic tensioner itself normally replaced when changing the other timing related parts,

the hydraulic tensioner on the 90 -97 engines, ej22 and ej25, does not usually need to be repalced,

unless it is damaged or leaking.

just replace the idler.

starting in 98 they changed the tensioner to a one piece type,

these should be replaced every time you do the belt.

AND they have to be compressed in a specific manner,

very slowly and upright i think.

read up before you make a mistake.

You can just remove one of the covers and inspect the belt. Make sure you mark the belt then rotate it until you inspect the entire belt. My dad's Avalon's belt looked really good and then I found one pretty good crack but the rest of the belt looked perfect. If it has cracks or is dry rotted then replace it for sure. If it breaks you could bend the valves as these engines are interference engines. On my old 96 L 2.2 I got 140k before the belt started to crack.

Archived