LegacyGT.com

NEED HELP FOR EMISSIONS! Stock tires?

laxmangreatness

Hey guys so I was recently turned away from emissions becasue my tires are "too thin" I have max performance summer tires and they say that when the vehicle sways the rims will hit the restraints on the rollers and damage them. My current tire size is a 225/40/18 on my 2006 Legacy Gt. I was wondering if anyone has a set of stock tires (215/45/17) or any other tires that are 45s that will fit the legacy. I only need them for testing and will return them right after. I am located in Denver, CO so please respond if you near hear and can help a fellow member out! Thanks!

They are not worried about the load index. When your car is on the rollers for emissions the car sways. Usually when it sways it hits a metal restraint but it hits your tires so it does no damage. Because my tires are "thin" they claim that when my car sways not only will the tire make contact with restraint but also the rim. This will cause the rim to get bent or scratched.

Am I missing something here? I don't see any mention of what rims you are using but I am guessing they are wider than your 225 tires.

I used to have a 2006 LGT sedan that I ran with OZ 18x8 rims and 225/40/18 and there was no question the rims would hit anything before the tire sidewall did.

I now have the same rims on a 2012 Legacy 2.5 Limited but went up to 235/40/18 tires....no more side rim strikes;)

I tried to smog test my modified OBXT in Denver (when I lived there). The previous owner had nuked the engine/exhaust/cats with metal/oil shrapnel after running it with a clogged/blown turbo that ended up gouging everything and causing it to pour oil into the exhaust. When rebuilding it, I replaced the torn up exhaust with a new system with dual magnaflow cats..... cause I'm such a law biding citizen.

Even though my HIGHEST emission value was <5% of that particular limit and the new exhaust had emissions values LOWER than stock showed in their logs, they failed me on visual inspection because the book said that my year/make needed 3 catalytic converters and they could only confirm 2. The stock-appearing OBXT that had gone two-cars ahead was putting out higher numbers, I pointed out. They wouldn't budge. I was so mad that I wouldn't leave until they repeated back to me the phrase, "If the stock exhaust was put back on this car, the book shows that it would put out higher emissions. Yes, that is correct."

That was all I needed to know about the 'real' purpose of emissions testing in Denver, so I just registered the car to some property I own in another state.

Washington has a 2 fail rule. After the second fail attempt and $200 spent ($50 first mechanic visit & $150 second visit), you automatically pass. My truck failed a couple of years ago with a bad gas cap. I "rented" one from walmart and it passed. From the looks of the box, it had been previously rented.

Archived