LegacyGT.com

2.2 liter tick

I have another topic going about replacing my bum 2.2 liter but I have another question. I drove the wagon in question for several years before giving it to my nephew as a college car. When I was driving it there was an occasional loud ticking sound from the motor. I would describe it as a lifter type tick. It was very loud. Sometimes when I started the car it was there and sometimes it wasn't. I took it to a mechanic and his response was something like, "it's a Subaru, you just live with that sound,". Any idea what caused it and, more importantly, any ideas on how to make sure the used motor I buy doesn't have this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the 95 ej22 (90 - 96) has HLAs, hydraulic lash adjusters.

oil pressure pumps them up and takes up the slop / lash in the valve / rocker are assembly.

if they get dirty, or low oil pressure, they make noise since they do not take up the slack.

on the plus side, the valves never need adjusting.

you can pop the HLAs out of the rocker arms and clean and prime them before the install.

but the odds are pretty low that you will need replacements.

usually when they need service it is due to a blockage in the oil supply.

when the oil pump is resealed, if too much sealant is applied,

bits of sealant will break off and move up to the cam assembly.

there is a very recent thread about this on another forum.

i'll post a link when i come across it.

my 95 used to chatter when the oil level was low.

it was the only car i have owned that told me when to add oil.

it is VERY COMMON for a newly installed engine to chatter so bad that you are sure you bought a dud.

but i have installed 2 of these engines from wrecked cars and both have turned out good.

a friend on another site claims to have bought 7 ej22s from salvage yards and never had a bad one.

in 97 they changed to a bolt and lock nut adjuster.

by the way,

what happened to your engine?

Thanks for the link. That's good information.

The car ran great other than the aforementioned tick when I gave it to my nephew for his college car. When I got it back there was no oil or coolant in it and it ran so poorly it can't get up to freeway speeds. Yes, I topped oil and coolant off. I took it to have the codes read and there is a problem with #3 cylinder. The car sounds and behaves like a engine running on 3 of 4 cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived