LegacyGT.com

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Automatic Transmission Failure

marcin0079

Hi all,

I just broke my automatic transmission yesterday. There was no signs of potential transmission failure before it happened. When the car was cold I could barely feel the shift, no slipping, nothing, no check engine. Car has 120k and had oil in transmission. Yesterday was cold about 20 degrees so I started the car and waited few minutes to warm it up . I made a short trip (about 12 miles long). On my way home when I was making a left turn (about 15 mph) I hear weird noise (short snapping whistle noise) at first I thought it was turbo. I got home and checked the turbo. There was no noise, no smoke, nothing. I decide to make another trip to double test it(about 8 miles long). This time I used the sport mode shift. When I was taking an exit on my way home the transmission went out. I was reducing the gears from 5th to 4th and I felt the same noise as before but much more louder. Moreover, It happened when I hit a pothole. I don't know if it made any difference or it was just a coincidence. So i pull over and then discover that the car is stuck on first gear with reverse working. I researched this forum and couldn't find any person that got similar problem. When I was buying this car I did some research. I was more concerned about turbo than transmission. This car has only 120k. I found an used OEM transmission with 5 year warranty for $1,500 including shipping + I think the installation would be about $500. I'm still waiting for estimates for fixing the actual transmission. Any ideas? Is it worth fixing my broken transmission or just replacing with some with lower millage?

I just got some updates to this post. As for now, I eliminated the transmission failure possibility. Its because it shifts on sport mode. On "D" it can only drive on 1st and 2nd gear because of lack of power/boost. When the gauge passes 2,000 RPM it starts whining (turbo issue?) I found a guy on youtube who got the same issue as I did.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

I just emailed him today. Hopefully he will give me the answer:) for this freaken issue.

Depending on where in NJ you are, we can help diagnose the issue and help with the replacement if necessary. I wouldn't trust any places in NJ to do a good rebuild on an AT, we haven't seen any subie rebuilds of ATs that were worth the very high price of admission.

Let us know if we can help diag it.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 2 weeks later...
It was turbo. Just as I thought at first. Unfortunately I left the car at the wrong mechanics shop. The guy calls himself complete auto repair mechanic but probably only knows how to change oil and tires. When I left the car there I told them not to drive it because 99% its turbo failure and I don't want to blow up the whole engine.They didn't listen to me and did two long trips with stepping on gas to diagnose it. I understand to start the engine and step on gas little bit just to catch the whining noise but driving it miles is ridiculous. Especially when I told them it was turbo. Next day I come there and they say "yes, you were right it was turbo" Thanks God the shaft play didn't brake apart. Since they took the turbo out I decide to leave my legacy there. I bought brand new VF40 turbo and turbo oil feed lines. They told me its gonna be $500 with everything, but I ended up paying $550 with oil change and not replacing the long oil feed line(from turbo to AVCS) They said I would have to pay additional $240 just for replacing this line because requires removing the fuel intake. Is it true? In addition they put Castrol 10W30 instead of 5W30 and forgot to put on two bolts for heat cover. Let me know if you know if know some good Subaru mechanic in central jersey area that specializes in turbos. I still have this feed line and want to install it. Also, do I have to replace the oil with 5W30 or I can wait for next oil change?

It was turbo. Just as I thought at first. Unfortunately I left the car at the wrong mechanics shop. The guy calls himself complete auto repair mechanic but probably only knows how to change oil and tires. When I left the car there I told them not to drive it because 99% its turbo failure and I don't want to blow up the whole engine.They didn't listen to me and did two long trips with stepping on gas to diagnose it. I understand to start the engine and step on gas little bit just to catch the whining noise but driving it miles is ridiculous. Especially when I told them it was turbo. Next day I come there and they say "yes, you were right it was turbo" Thanks God the shaft play didn't brake apart. Since they took the turbo out I decide to leave my legacy there. I bought brand new VF40 turbo and turbo oil feed lines. They told me its gonna be $500 with everything, but I ended up paying $550 with oil change and not replacing the long oil feed line(from turbo to AVCS) They said I would have to pay additional $240 just for replacing this line because requires removing the fuel intake. Is it true? In addition they put Castrol 10W30 instead of 5W30 and forgot to put on two bolts for heat cover. Let me know if you know if know some good Subaru mechanic in central jersey area that specializes in turbos. I still have this feed line and want to install it. Also, do I have to replace the oil with 5W30 or I can wait for next oil change?

Get in touch with us. We are in CNJ and can handle any and all of this...

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived