LegacyGT.com

Craftsman and china

went to sears today for a little x-mas shopping. What horrors awaited me. Chines tools as far as the eye could see. What happened craftsman? finally after 15 minutes of ranting, (with a very understanding store clerk, who said she gets this all the time and suggested i write to craftsman). found a 250 piece set made in good ol' USA a little dust on the top, forgotten about in the back but there she was gleaming with american pride and a lifetime replacement guarantee, (not sure how good that will be with Chinese replacements tho) not to mention it was on sale !

who else is shocked by the Chinese tool take over, and has anyone been able to find any good american made tools, might be looking for a new tool company

i almost only buy craftsman. however i had a similar situation in a kitchen store. went to purchase some all-clad kitchen equipment. supposed to be made in pennsylvania, however to my surprise they are now outsourcing to china. i guess they figure we wont check the tags. i can understand the reasons for outsourcing but that doest mean i agree.

i almost only buy craftsman. however i had a similar situation in a kitchen store. went to purchase some all-clad kitchen equipment. supposed to be made in pennsylvania, however to my surprise they are now outsourcing to china. i guess they figure we wont check the tags. i can understand the reasons for outsourcing but that doest mean i agree.

Because our government and big businesses are selling us out to the F*&$kn Chinese.

• 2 years later...
The Sears in Erie, PA is going out of business and all their Chinese tools are going out with a discount. I am still hesitent to buy them even at a discount since even though they have a lifetime warrenty, I would need to drive like 50 miles for another Chinese tool from the next nearest Sears. Or I could go to harbor frieght and get a replacement there for 1/3 to 1/5 the price and get equivant or sometimes better quality from HF.

Better learn to speak Chinese.

courses, study time, domestic instructors... my numbers guy says if you're willing to sacrifice just a little in translation quality, retaining an interpreter in china would be far more cost-effective ;)

joking aside, disappointed to hear this; the few old craftsman pieces i've collected are rather indestructible.

Archived