LegacyGT.com

color matching paint options

where can i get color matching paint? other than the subaru sticks. ive got a few spots i need/want to touch up and would prefer either a spray can or actual liquid paint.

trying to match brilliant silver from 05. ive got the color code.

thanks

Check in there. Do a quick search.

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/exterior-aesthetic-44.html

FYI, metallic paints like BSM are difficult to touch up.... Whatever you touch up will NEVER match up with your original paint exactly. Humidity, temperature, spray pressure, distance, mixture, coating thickness, etc. etc. all factor into what it looks like in the end. The only way to get a good paint repair is to BLEND over a LARGE area... which is sort of a pain to do.

even a body shop will not be too bad if you do the prep.

That's if you know how to prep. Most people assume they know how to prep car for paint but they are wrong. Prepping a car for paint job is tedious job and you have to know how to do it right or else painter will have to reprep it. You can do lots of mistakes on prep job that instead of saving time/money will cost you extra to fix it. Personally I don't paint over someone's prep job, I do all of my bodywork/prep myself.

I've done several spot repairs on different cars, it's fairly easy. Find a local auto paint store and take them your color code off the car. They should be able to make a spray can for less than $20, or a small touch up can for less than $10.

For small areas less than a dime size, you could use the touch up can. Anything larger I would use the spray can.

1. Prep the area with sandpaper (320 - 400 grit)

2. Clean area with alcohol and let dry

3. Large areas may require primer before shooting the color, just a few light coats of primer should do. Let dry and sand with 400 grit while lightly blending it to the cars paint.

4. Wipe clean, compressed air will get most of the grit off.

5. Spary 3 - 4 light coats of color, waiting 10 mins between coats.

6. Let it dry 24 hrs, make sure air temps are above 65F.

7. Final sanding to blend color into the original color on the car. Start with 1000 grit and lightly sand the painted area and edges to blend. Once smooth with the cars paint, repeat with 1500 grit. The area will look hazy.

8. Clean throughly the whole area and blast with air.

9. Spray area with auto clear coat, using 3 - 4 light coats. It's ok to over lap onto the cars painted surface.

10. Let dry 12 - 24 hours, most clear coats will dry a little faster than the paint.

11. Polish the whole area with a machine polisher, starting with a light polishing compound OR swirl remover compound. Do several passes until until the clear coat is smooth and blends in with the original car paint. Wax and done.

For smaller area's less than a dime size, ask the auto paint store to mix in a clear coat with the paint and this will reduce several steps above. You should also be able to do several small spots in a day.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived