LegacyGT.com

Rear window mounted Brake light

Hey guys,

I'm looking to remove the factory spoiler on my 1996 Legacy RS, unfortunately with this comes the removal of the third brake light, which is Illegal to cruise around without.

I was wondering if anyone has experience in wiring in those aftermarket universal LED Brake lights that can mount inside your rear windshield?

How would I go about wiring it from the boot (Where I assume the spoiler brake light is wired to) and into the cabin to the rear window?

If anyone has experience with this, pictures, or has done it before that would be great!

Thanks.

Legacies without spoilers here tend to have brake lights in the boot lid, and I don't want a boot lid with the brake light in it, as those tend to come off non turbo models.

As far as I know I've never seen a legacy sedan in NZ that has the high mounted Brake light in the rear window, as most are JDM models that instead of the the brake light have a rear window wiper.

Thus, not really an option to just swap one in.

Most states statues go like this.

"A vehicle originally equipped at the time of manufacture and sale must maintain and have a minimum of two stop lamps".

Basically however many lights in their original locations must be working, so if your car doesn't have a third stop lamp in the location one would've came at the time of manufacture/sale you don't need to add another one. I know some of you will say he removed the light on the spoiler and I understand that but the law says only two are needed. Somehow this logic works. Here's how it did for me a few years ago.

I went thought this whole debacle in 2011 in my old 96 L. I did the same thing, removed the spoiler didn't add the light inside. Got a ticket for "Operating vehicle w/o stopping lights" @ $196 and 3 points. I didn't like that much and being a Auto Mechanic I knew I've seen cars built in the 80's and 90's without a third stop lamp or HCSL. So I did a little research finding WI's state statutes group # 347 sub sat 347.14. After reading it I knew I was right and took my findings to court with me. Funny when I went to my first court date they asked if I was going to have a lawyer, I said no and I am representing myself. The DA asked why I was fighting this ticket and I said because it's my right and MPD shouldn't be conducting illegal traffic stops. Court gave me another future date. Went to this one entered my evidence and explained my case to the judge. The DA argued but the Judge sided with me and dismissed my case but before he closed the case I asked for a motion for a memo to be written stating this State Statute in further detail to all of the MPD departments throughout the city. The Judge entertained the motion while the DA called it a joke. Boy did the Judge get pissed, telling the DA that he would write the memo to also include that Illegal stop will not be tolerated and any evidence seized will be thrown out in court. I had a smirk on my face. It felt so good being able to play lawyer and actually prevail. Sorry for the long post, just thought you guys would be interested.

wiring is easy, just extend the wires you already have for the spoiler light. there should be a way to get the wires inside the cab at the corners of the rear deck, then just tuck them into the back of the deck or into the rubber for the window, and mount the third light where you like on the back deck as close to the window as you want. ive got no pics, but once you get in there and start looking at it, im sure it will become apparent how to get it done.

Archived