LegacyGT.com

Squealing/grinding sound on clutch engagement (and more at the start of it)

I've read a variety of post on TOBs and pilot bearings, etc. but wanted to get community input. Driving today my clutch felt strange a few+ times when letting it out. A bit clunky and certainly not smooth almost as if something was bumping up against something it shouldn't be. That went away pretty quickly but I'm wondering if that might suggest something as it's not a detail I've seen in my research.

A bit later I noticed a squealing/grinding metal-on-metal kind of sound on clutch engagement. I scanned the forums and got some basic ideas.

I found the following walk through on clutch noise diagnosis:

1. While depressing the clutch pedal, start the engine and leave it running. With the transmission in Neutral, release the clutch pedal, taking your foot completely off the pedal. Any noise that you hear upon engaging the clutch will likely be coming from the transmission front bearing

2. Push the clutch pedal only until all free play is removed. This causes contact with the release levers or fingers, allowing the throwout bearing to rotate without disengaging the clutch. If you hear a noise in this position, typically a whirring or grinding sound, the throwout bearing is probably defective.

3. Push the clutch pedal to the floor. If a noise—typically, a squealing or howling sound—occurs on disengage-ment, the pilot bearing is probably defective.

I would say #2 holds true. It's not a super loud noise and for all I know my radio was blocking it out and I just happened to be listening for sounds today after other issues.

Anyway, I have a 2006 LGT, 70K miles. It's an abnormally cold day (3-20ish avg temps). Car should have been plenty warm after an hours drive when this was still occurring.

Anyone have any ideas/input on possible problems or other diagnostic steps beyond take it to a mechanic/dealer? :D

Thx!

Archived