LegacyGT.com

98GTL help

So she over heated on me and a had to limp it home. Got a new thermostat and it has been fine for a week until today. The temp started spiking about a mile from home. I have also developed an oil leak from the valve cover gasket. Some day it leak a lot someday it doesn't leak could the two be related? Any help is greatly appreciated.

They aren't related. Id bet the previous overheating incident warped something, and you head gaskets probably need replaced.

Other possibilities include: An air bubble in the system, not enough coolant was put back in after the T-stat was replaced (should be 2gal), fans not working correctly, bad radiator cap, etc...

Check for coolant in your oil, check for exhaust or bubbles in your coolant, and check to see if its burning coolant by looking and or smelling the exhaust. Any of these things are signs of a head gasket issue.

My friends son also owns a LGT and last year I replaced his headgaskets. What his was doing was overheating every once and a while, like once every 3-4 month's. Pushing all or most of the coolant into the overflow bottle and ground. I told him the first time it overheated it was the headgaskets but his father said NO it's the t-stat. When it did it the second time he thought the new tstat was faulty and replaced it again. Then it overheated again so he finally gave in and I did the headgaskets. Never a problem again.

Take it for drive and get on it a little but dont go far from home. Check the coolant reservoir when you return and if its well above full and bubbling thats what they usually do then the head gaskets go. Always seems to be the driver side HG also.

Depends on how much machining needs to be done. For sure the heads should be machined and the blocks are hit or miss. I will tell you that if both block and head surfaces aren't perfectly flat with the correct RA finish you will get another HG failure. No matter what HG is used. Just an fyi if the block needs machining the block needs to be disassembled and that will cost you a lot more. Also only use OEM parts for the fix.

According to Repair Pal labor alone would range from $1050-$1400 minus any machining and parts needed. So a guess would be roughly $2500 all set and done.

Archived