LegacyGT.com

CEL / Flashing Cruise etc

Hi Guys, I'm new here and hitherto a very happy owner of a 2007 Outback 3.0 auto.

I've got the (not flashing but steady) CEL & Traction light together with flashing Cruise and problem and tried tightening the fuel filler cap as it happened with the tank about 3/4 full (which from my searches here seems to be the point at which the car checks for vacuum leaks) and now want to reset the lights to see if thats all it was. I disconnected the battery (positive terminal) and pressed the brake pedal but after putting the battery back together the lights are still there - Just wanted to check if you think this means there is a more serious issue or if i did this procedure wrong...

Also tried to find these two green wires that you join together to read the codes (join green wires, turn on ignition and press odometer reset button) and from what I have read they seem to be in the fuse box by the drivers left knee (left hand drive car) - is this correct? Just been searching in there with a torth but can't find any wires not plugged into a socket and no green ones that look obvious - am I looking in the right place?

Regarding the fault the car seems to drive fine except maybe a little hesitant sometimes and I've noticed a couple of jerky gear changes (its an auto box and stays in "D", i don't use the flappy paddles/manual option much in town) - very rarely just started noticing a slight 'clunk' and jerky change of gear at low speed but really not dramatic. Just wondered if this rang any alarm bells with regard to a possible known problem and re the hesitation my old car would run on "limp" mode when the CEL was on so wondered if this was the same with the Outback and hence could be the reason for the perceived occasional hesitation.

Car has been serviced etc but it is well overdue for an air filter change (parts are hard to come by here (Philippines) and i have to wait ages for the delivery which, through complacency I havn't ordered yet...).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Well it failed to start this evening or started and died so it's off to the garage tomorrow...

According to all the posts I've seen steady CEL=ok to drive and flashing CEL=don't drive but it's a moot point now anyway ;)

Just to conclude the thread, problem was a broken air box housing (that holds the air filter), goodness knows how that happened - it was also blowing out black smoke and then stalling - breaks in the box were taped up and all good/CEL lights out, running smooth again and no smoke. So new airbox on order... Just thankful that's all it was!

Wow - I'm surprised that would cause a cel code.

Do you know what code it was?

Sounds like it was running really rich from the black smoke/stalling comment, I had something similar with a dirty MAF on an old 92 legacy i used to own.

Yes two codes were thrown up, P0172 & P0175. The air was getting pulled in through the break and so bypassing the MAF which gave false readings thus messing up the mixture, as soon as the break was sealed (just for testing, a new box is on order now) engine ran smooth again with no smoke and (once reset) CEL's stayed off.

I'm just surprised at the box breaking, never heard of that before, guess it was just plastic fatigue somehow.

• 4 weeks later...
I have the same problem w/ my 05 Outback. I just bought the car a few weeks ago. When I hooked up my OBD2 reader, I got P0402 code. I notice the air filter is a little small, it doesn't look like the right size. I'm gonna try to change the filter and hopefully the problem goes away.

Archived