LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy GT STW (EU version with 5EAT)

JJacek

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a Legacy 2010 GT in my country Poland. They were offered in a little bit diffrent specification than in US:

- sedan and wagon

- 5EAT (similar with 3.6R)

- all features were standard, you could only decide to buy McIntosh audio

I recently found one add with 107 kkm (65 k miles) on it. It is before timing belt replacement (should be made after 105 kkm), and it had head gasket replaced (on warranty), because it overheated after long trip (this year).

Is that normal, the head gasket issue in this new model? I read that older STI, WRX and Legacy GT had problems with cylinder liner which caused problem with the head gasket. I didn't found anything about head gasket problems in the new MY10-.. Legacy GT or the new WRX 265 (engine is the same ?), especially in stock configuration (I read about modified Legacy GT in this forum, this onehttp://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208801&highlight=gasket). Can it be caused by driver error, bad maintenance etc ? Or maybe I am too cautious and I should be glad that it had this head gasket replaced.

It's not normal, but if there was an oveheating event, this is typical. A few cars have had head replacement, one in mind is the link posted. FYI - The 5th gen heads have improved coolant flow over previous 2.5is / WRX.

Turbo oil flow is also improved with a scavenger pump off a cam shaft.

It's good the head gasket was replaced under warranty. Have them do a compression and leak down test to prove all is within spec.

It is quite important to get the service records and find out if oil was replaced every 3750 miles. If the car was poorly maintained, then skip it.

A few thoughts .... as as part of the negotiation, have the dealer replace the plugs on the GT with 65K miles. Have them change the differential fluids as well, 30K is best with these cars. Finally, inspect/replace the air filter. Have them replace the cabin filter.

Timing belt replacement is @ 105,000 miles in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info.

I have seen the car last thursday, took it to dealer (but it was the same one in which car was being serviced) for a pre-purchase check. Everything was ok, every service was done on time etc etc.

I got more information on that head gasket replacement. Owner was travelling in Germany (no speed limits on highways) and tested maximum speed for longer period of time (260 km/h ~ 160 mph). The engine overheated, after he stopped on toll booth there was water vapur coming from under the hood. He had to fill coolant because the heating stopped working. It was one month before end of warranty. They changed the head gaskets but who can tell how much damage the engine suffered.

Timing belt replacement in Europe is at 105 000 km (65 000 miles).

Archived