LegacyGT.com

tow limits..

+1 to whoever advised letting the turbo cool! When you stop for gas, let the engine idle for a minute or two before shutting it off. I did kill a turbo before I figured that one out.

According to the label on the inside of the door jam, max cargo weight is roughly 850 lbs. That is people, luggage, spare tire, emergency tool kit, and anything else that you happen to put in there. Tongue weight of a towed vehicle is also included in that figure but that is where it gets complicated since that weight is so far behind the rear suspension that the force it exudes on the rear suspension gets multiplied reducing the max cargo weight capacity. I found this out the hard way when my rear suspension would no longer sit at the right height (3 inched too low) after an overloaded trip with all the heavy luggage in the trunk and the trailer hooked up.

I have an 18 foot popup tent trailer that weighs 1800 pounds dry and gets close to 2700 lbs fully loaded with all the mods that I have done to it. It has it's own brakes so it falls within the tow capabilities of the car but it does on occasion push me around a bit. It is perfectly fine to tow a 2700 lb trailer with a 4400 lb (3600 + cargo) fully loaded car. Just know that when it does push you around, and it will, NEVER hit the brakes. That is how you jackknife your whole rig and $#!t gets exciting.

If the trailer tries to shake you back and forth, you MUST hit the gas. Power out of the wobble! It will straighten out the trailer putting it back in line with the car. Then and only then can you hit the brakes slowing everything back to manageable speeds. Keep in mind that this is more difficult going downhill than it is going uphill.

I have taken my trailer to Lake Tahoe from the bay area here in CA and had no problem whatsoever going over the summit on I-80. At 80 mph. 75 once the road got twisty. Just remember to do all the braking before entering the turn and then accelerate through the whole turn so the trailer doesn't try to yank you off the road. Popup tent trailers have a very low center of gravity and are very wide. DO NOT try this pulling a boat!

Another concern is the capacity of whatever hitch you decide to get. I got the class 2 hidden hitch with 1 1/4 inch opening since it had a 200 lb tongue weight capacity and 3000 lb tow capacity. It does scrape the ground on a lot of driveways though.

ALWAYS check the balance of the trailer by leaving it completely disconnected from the tow vehicle until it is fully loaded and then lift its tongue onto the cars hitch. It should be heavy (large bag of concrete heavy) but manageable with one person (or two smaller people). This is even more important at the end of a long trip when you are packing back up for the voyage home since you will be tired and rushed. If the trailer is still connected to the tow car, make sure to at least unhook it and check that you can lift it off the ball hitch with as much effort as you used on the way out. A trailer with a heavy tongue will push you around a lot more than one properly balanced.

Be safe. Drive carefully. Look further ahead of you on the road than you normally would. Keep your head in the game and you will be ok.

• 1 year later...

Mike:

I already have a quote (from Rey). Just doing some research here on this same subject. So my ZX-10R weighs 437, and the Uhaul motorcycle trailer is 550. I'm running down to Milleville or possibly the Pocono's. I should be right at the 1,000 Lbs limit. I have no power concerns (stage II) but I do have an automatic. I only plan on doing (track days) a few times a year due to the cost of the track and cost of replacement tires ect). If I'm not racing down there, I should be able to negate the need for the trans cooler?

:confused:

That why you hit the deer. Ins. Co. will cover that. Because if a deer jump right out in front of you. Your not going to stop in time anyway. Keep it straight, keep in your lane, so no one else is involved but you.

OP, other tow threads; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...cy-144604.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/towing-uhaul-6x12-legacy-2-5i-sedani-167677.html?highlight=towing

Search, tow, towing & towed in Advanced Search in "titles search only" for other threads.

Mike:

I already have a quote (from Rey). Just doing some research here on this same subject. So my ZX-10R weighs 437, and the Uhaul motorcycle trailer is 550. I'm running down to Milleville or possibly the Pocono's. I should be right at the 1,000 Lbs limit. I have no power concerns (stage II) but I do have an automatic. I only plan on doing (track days) a few times a year due to the cost of the track and cost of replacement tires ect). If I'm not racing down there, I should be able to negate the need for the trans cooler?

:confused:

That shouldn't be a problem at all as I see it - the aerodynamic drag is what would be the main problem for transmission cooling and a bike on a trailer is hardly a problem.

I would worry more about braking and lateral stability so you don't get into a self-oscillation.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfFbQpmqWk]Scariest accident ever car comes off trailer! caught on tape - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

Wow loved that video...

Yes between the motorcycle trailer and the (race) bike, there will be little drag. I will gladly forgo racing down to the track if I can comfortably ride to and from the track. The rental is like 25$ day so the only real cost if installation.

Thanks!

We actually suggest for all out automatic subies to add in the B&M Cooler and switch to either the Redline High Temp ATF (4EATs) or Motul Sythetic ATF (4EATs and 5EATs).

It's very inexpensive insurance to protect your trans, especially towing up those hills to Pocono or sitting in shore traffic going down to NJMP....

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Now we have an Online Catalog where you can purchase Parts! AZPParts.com

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 2 months later...

Mike:

We are 41 days to spring. Gotta start planning for some track time. What would the trans cooler run? The trans was flushed with my last service a year ago.

U-Haul wants about 200-250 installed for the trailer hitch. What is the difference with the one you quoted me for 400-450 (I think)?

Dumb question, but are there any issue with the Koni's I had installed with a load of about 975 LBS?

Thanks.

Mike:

We are 41 days to spring. Gotta start planning for some track time. What would the trans cooler run? The trans was flushed with my last service a year ago.

U-Haul wants about 200-250 installed for the trailer hitch. What is the difference with the one you quoted me for 400-450 (I think)?

Dumb question, but are there any issue with the Koni's I had installed with a load of about 975 LBS?

Thanks.

Shoot us an e-mail and we'll get you the prices.

As for the hitch, probably the difference between the Uhaul hitch and the one we would likely use. Also I'm not sure what Uhaul was including (or what we were including for that matter) we may have been including wiring etc.

The Konis will be fine with the OEM tongue weight, 975 should be about 100lbs of tongue weight.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived