LegacyGT.com

Talk BOV's to me

LegacyDan

I had a Forge recirc valve on mine with Turboxs fmic but could never get it smooth as stock BOV so i took it off,tried the 3 different springs and they all were pretty close to eachother. but increase flutter etc was just annoying as hell! is there another 100% recirc valve there thats stronger than stock and will hold about 23 psi max and behaves exactly like stock but holds more boost without leaking?

Drive so well on the stock one now but not sure if its holding pressure at peak boost. Any of the Turbosmart or Turboxs ones that are suitable?

I had a Forge recirc valve on mine with Turboxs fmic but could never get it smooth as stock BOV so i took it off,tried the 3 different springs and they all were pretty close to eachother. but increase flutter etc was just annoying as hell! is there another 100% recirc valve there thats stronger than stock and will hold about 23 psi max and behaves exactly like stock but holds more boost without leaking?

Drive so well on the stock one now but not sure if its holding pressure at peak boost. Any of the Turbosmart or Turboxs ones that are suitable?

IMO, you're looking for what doesn't exist. That is, a BPV/BOV that works properly and yet doesn't "increase flutter." That "flutter" is usually due to the car being loaded improperly and pushing the turbo into compressor surge... which, on our normal range of turbos is nothing to be concerned about.

Read this fully: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/technical-info-bov-bpv-set-up-and-operation-150687.html

I personally modified all my OEM BPVs with the sixteen cent mod, had mild compressor surge if loaded improperly (too much throttle at too high a gear), but never had an issue if driven with the turbo in mind. I did this on my LGT, WRX, and STi. It is posted in that and the $0.16 mod thread. FWIW, the OEM BPV thus modded will not only hold 23 psi, but 32 psi or any other psi... just like an aftermarket unit. The difference is the price.

However, as m sprank points out, a properly set up BPV/BOV will usually exhibit the same minor surge "flutter" as you found on your AM units.

I have a GFB TMS Respons and I've set it to about maybe 10-15% VTA (I'm a ricer, I love the noise, lol) and I don't get any sort of flutter noise after adjusting the spring properly. I've also shut it off completely before to go full recirc. Currently stage 2, 18 PSI by about 3K, down to 12.5 (or 12, I forget) by redline.

ill try this mod on a spare stock jdm bov i have. i wonder if the US and jdm legacy bov's are the same, ill take some pics of it before i mod it to make sure im doing it right!

Inspect it closely... some JDM STi BPVs work like the modded USDM BPV. The only difference is a lighter spring in the JDM BPV, lessening chance of compressor surge.

Pics would be good.

Archived