LegacyGT.com

Axle stub or hub?

I have a wobble on the right rear and narrowed it down to the axle stub or the hub itself. So I dont get other answers I already rotated tires, new bearing, new rotor/brakes, new backing plate (old one was rusted).

I was thinking the hub but before I spend the cash and go through pulling the knuckle again and pressing in a new bearing/hub I thought I would ask for opinions on here. I would think if the axle stub was bent I would see some wobble in the axle itself. Oh and the rotor was hard to fit over the new ebrake shoes on that corner.

When the car is on the lift and the wheel is turning you can see the wobble. Its been there since I bought the car. I originally thought it could be the bearing and the backing plate rubbing against the rotor.

Im sure a previous owner curbed it good on that corner at some point or slid into something. It also causes a brake squeal on that corner which is annoying.

The only thing that would cause wobble would be a bent rim or a LOOSE component. Anything else bent would simply have the wheel out of alignment. At least, that's the conclusion I come to while thinking about it, but you state you've already rotated tires so I suppose I'm just being an idiot, lol.

The only thing that would cause wobble would be a bent rim or a LOOSE component. Anything else bent would simply have the wheel out of alignment. At least, that's the conclusion I come to while thinking about it, but you state you've already rotated tires so...

If the hub itself was bent how would that not cause a wobble? Nothing is loose and ive rotated wheels and it stays on that corner. It also did this before and after replacing the bearing and brakes.

Well I was picturing that if the hub was bent, then the wheel would just be permanently at a new angle, but I guess it IS possible for the mating surface of the hub to be bent. I would imagine that kind of impact would have damaged the bearing as well, though, or even the rim. That's a pretty hefty piece of steel to deform. Other than the hub, though, I don't see anything else it could be. A bent axle wouldn't wobble the wheel itself. Any other bent linkages would just affect camber or toe. It has to be a rotating component to cause wobble, which pretty much leaves the wheel, outer hub assembly, or bearing (the axle wouldn't affect it.) You state you replaced the bearings. It IS possible, I suppose, that the bearing is crooked, but those tolerances are so great I don't see how that could happen without someone royally ******* something up during installation. So since it can't be the axle, and you are sure it isn't the wheel, then that leaves the hub/bearing to look at.

Well I was picturing that if the hub was bent, then the wheel would just be permanently at a new angle, but I guess it IS possible for the mating surface of the hub to be bent. I would imagine that kind of impact would have damaged the bearing as well, though, or even the rim. That't a pretty hefty piece of steel to deform.

What you are saying makes sense if the knuckle was bent but if the hub face was bent and that gets rotated around it would wobble.

I don't know how much it is wobbling, but I would imagine if it was anything more than a small fraction of an inch, you should be able to take the wheel off and spin the hub and just look at it. If it's wobbling but the knuckle isn't moving around (it really shouldn't) then it's obviously an issue with either the hub or the bearing. Was this an issue BEFORE you replaced the bearing? Or did you replace the bearing BECAUSE of this issue? I think the answer to that question will determine whether its a hub or bearing issue.

By the way, what kind of wobble are we talking about? Is it wobbling when you look at the tire from the rear of the car? Or is it rotating off center (so, wobbling when you are looking at the wheel from the side of the car?) I am assuming the former.

When you look at the tire from the rear when rotating u can see it moving left and right a bit. I should check the off center also cause you feel it while moving at slow speed in the car it almost feels like a tire with a high spot. Once you get going down the highway at speed its not that noticeable.

You can usually pick up an entire spindle with the hub and bearings attached from a salvage yard for $35-40. I'd just replace all of it and be done with it.

I would but the knuckle is painted and I have a new backing plate which is also painted nice. I have a press but a new bearing and seals from the dealer is about 80 dollars or so. I dont go to autozone for those parts lol.

That kind of deformation can't be passed THROUGH to the hub, so it definitely isn't the axle. If the axle is bent, and that is indeed being passed through the hub, all it means is you have more than one issue. The bearing/hub/knuckle should have ZERO play, so all a bent axle is going to do is bind if it's bad enough.

That shouldn't affect any of the mating surfaces for the wheel or where the rotor sits against the hub, though.

If the rotor is running in/out over pad material, it can cause the steering to feel like it's wobbling.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

What does the wheel bolt up to? The rotor. Likely the hub or the wheel, but don't discount the rotor.

If the wheel is properly bolted on, deposits on the rotor aren't going to push the entire assembly up off the hub. All it is going to do is create points of friction between the pads and the rotor which will make the wheel difficult to turn. If he can turn the wheel by hand and physically watch it wobble (which is what he is doing) then it is not related to the pads and rotors. If it was causing the wheel assembly to deform as it rotated, he would have a lot of other horrible issues, such as TERRIBLE binding in the right rear corner, overheated brakes, etc...

That kind of deformation can't be passed THROUGH to the hub, so it definitely isn't the axle. If the axle is bent, and that is indeed being passed through the hub, all it means is you have more than one issue. The bearing/hub/knuckle should have ZERO play, so all a bent axle is going to do is bind if it's bad enough.

What I was thinking also but wanted to ask to make me feel better about it lol. Also if it was the axle I would think it would wobble out of round and not left to right from the back. Ordering the hub now.

Stang - agreed. But I've seen horrible pad deposition on one side of the rotor, cause a wheel to shake/wobble. Don't think this is the issue, but wouldn't discount it.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 months later...

Archived