LegacyGT.com

Cylinder 1 missfire

My 99 gt is misfiring on cyl one. its not the plugs or the wires I checked them and there both fine. I cleaned my maf sensor and my egr valve. It's still getting gas in that cyl so im assuming the only thing left would be the coil? I was looking for other peoples opinions on this before I order a new one I was quoted $205 plus tax for a new one.

I had a misfire code that went way when I replaced the coil. I'd check the resistance across the injector pins and the resistance on the primary and secondaries on the coil pack and see if they are in spec. Maybe run some injector cleaner. Put some dielectric grease on the plug and coil connections.

I'd try resetting the ecu first.

$205 is a lot! Did you check Rockauto? I have one I could send you if it comes to that, lol.

I had a misfire code that went way when I replaced the coil. I'd check the resistance across the injector pins and the resistance on the primary and secondaries on the coil pack and see if they are in spec. Maybe run some injector cleaner. Put some dielectric grease on the plug and coil connections.

I'd try resetting the ecu first.

$205 is a lot! Did you check Rockauto? I have one I could send you if it comes to that, lol.

Kind of a noob still but by resetting the ecu is that just disconecting the battery for a few mins then reconnecting? and wow Rockauto is aloooot cheaper!

Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and wait 15-40 minutes depending on your level of patience. While the battery is disconnected you can press the brake pedal a few times to get rid of any residual electricity (if any energy is left it will go towards the brake lights).

Misfire can be a lot of things. How many miles are on her? Besides ignition components, it could be a vacuum leak or more commonly, your valves need adjusted.

Theres 314,000 kms on it. I did a compression test and it seems to be alright, if it was a vacuum leak it wouldnt cause it not to spark though would it? As of right now theres just no spark at all going to cyl 1. eliminated the wires and plugs because I switched them to cyl 3 and they both worked fine on that one.

Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and wait 15-40 minutes depending on your level of patience. While the battery is disconnected you can press the brake pedal a few times to get rid of any residual electricity (if any energy is left it will go towards the brake lights).

sounds good its worth a try!

Theres 314,000 kms on it. I did a compression test and it seems to be alright, if it was a vacuum leak it wouldnt cause it not to spark though would it? As of right now theres just no spark at all going to cyl 1. eliminated the wires and plugs because I switched them to cyl 3 and they both worked fine on that one.

No spark at all? The cylinder isn't firing at all? Is your engine bucking or does it seem to run smooth? Did you put a spark plug in the wire and hold it near something metal to confirm there is no spark?

If there is no spark at all coming through the wire from the coil then resetting the ECU won't do anything. It would be a bad coil as you suspect. However it is about time to adjust the valves anyways with your mileage.

No spark at all? The cylinder isn't firing at all? Is your engine bucking or does it seem to run smooth? Did you put a spark plug in the wire and hold it near something metal to confirm there is no spark?

If there is no spark at all coming through the wire from the coil then resetting the ECU won't do anything. It would be a bad coil as you suspect. However it is about time to adjust the valves anyways with your mileage.

Yup i held the plug in the wire and had it close to something metal and no spark at all

check the coil where the plug wire connects.

is it clean, worn, charred, cracked?

suabru uses a wasted spark system.

when it fires #1, it also fires #2.

the #2 spark is wasted since there is no fuel or compression there.

usually, if the coil is firing 2 then it is firing #1.

but a bad connection point or a bad wire could cause a misfire.

wires is the most common cause of misfires.

that sucks, 74 bucks with free shipping for us

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-8239-Ignition-Coil-DIS-Performance-Replacement-Square-Epoxy-Red-36000-V-Ea-/390695363295?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af74222df&vxp=mtr

edit: in a pinch you could also go to the junkyard and yank one from a 96-99 dodge neon as well, just make sure you grab the harness with it.

that sucks, 74 bucks with free shipping for us

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-8239-Ignition-Coil-DIS-Performance-Replacement-Square-Epoxy-Red-36000-V-Ea-/390695363295?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af74222df&vxp=mtr

edit: in a pinch you could also go to the junkyard and yank one from a 96-99 dodge neon as well, just make sure you grab the harness with it.

Haha I already used the new one, and they don't take returns on coils here.

Archived